Asm

Posts 1–12 of 12 · Page 1 of 1
Asm
You may be asking why I am posting assembly questions here? Well, it's because the asm section is dead and I will never get an answer. Now, to my question:


Where can I learn to code asm, like a tutorial. I have this tutorial Iczelion's Win32 Assembly Homepage

but this goes in to the winapi. I know winapi in c++ and i understand how it works kind of in asm but i would like to know the basics and syntax of asm. I think it rather damaging to myself to try to plunge into winapi in asm without proper knowledge of the asm language. Thanks in advance.
Thanks fovea.
which one do you recommend i should download btw. There is a whole huge list.
Volume 2 (One version is separated into 2A and 2B and the other is an amalgamation of 2A and 2B. Pick either.)
Quote Originally Posted by .::SCHiM::. View Post
The Art of Assembly Language Programming

You'll never get back to C++, this explains everything you'll ever need to know about Asm and more. It's a long read though.

Enjoy total programing mastery
I'll "never get back to C++"? What do you mean by that?
Quote Originally Posted by freedompeace View Post


I'll "never get back to C++"? What do you mean by that?
He means (I think) That when you get all that ASM related information, C++ wont be needed.
Quote Originally Posted by freedompeace View Post


I'll "never get back to C++"? What do you mean by that?
I once thought that C++ was the best language ever, however when I started programming in assembler I soon realized my mistake

Because by programming assembler not only your skill in the language increases exponentially, but your knowledge about everything that goes on inside the computer increases too. And by that I mean that you really know what's going on, when it's going on. All in all, I fucking love asm.
Quote Originally Posted by VirtualDUDE View Post
He means (I think) That when you get all that ASM related information, C++ wont be needed.
Quote Originally Posted by .::SCHiM::. View Post
I once thought that C++ was the best language ever, however when I started programming in assembler I soon realized my mistake ;)

Because by programming assembler not only your skill in the language increases exponentially, but your knowledge about everything that goes on inside the computer increases too. And by that I mean that you really know what's going on, when it's going on. All in all, I fucking love asm.
Knowing exactly what goes on and exactly when your code runs is probably a great advantage... BUT... Is it really practical that you "never get back to C++"?

I'll admit, Assembly is a pretty hardcore language, but, all-in-all, it's not really suited to programming a huge application. I would love to learn more about it though :)
Quote Originally Posted by freedompeace View Post




Knowing exactly what goes on and exactly when your code runs is probably a great advantage... BUT... Is it really practical that you "never get back to C++"?

I'll admit, Assembly is a pretty hardcore language, but, all-in-all, it's not really suited to programming a huge application. I would love to learn more about it though
You're right, assembly is not suited for programming huge applications, but I could probably prop more functionally in a 10 mb assembler program than in a 1 gb C++ program. Meaning that assembler programs don't have to be huge to do everything you need it to do.

To give another example of how small asm can be, I have a few projects in which the actual source of my program is bigger that the assembled executable. (one goes from 20 kb source -> 3 kb program)
Coding for size is generally a thing of the past (unless you are coding for embedded systems, in which case you probably won't be coding in X86-64 anyways). Size is irrelevant, the shift towards RISC based processors is proof enough (CISC is only maintained for legacy purposes, in reality on X86-64 based systems the CISC instructions are translated to RISC instructions.
Posts 1–12 of 12 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us