Why would i code on linux?

Posts 1–15 of 17 · Page 1 of 2
Why would i code on linux?
Why would i want to code on linux? Is there something special? I have always been wondering about that, and recently i hear people are doing that so i am just wondering why.
Because you can. Because Linux is free, and Windows isn't. Because you're bored, or because you want your apps used within a commercial server environment.
umm.... I would rather code for windows.
BECAUSE LINUX IS LINUX.

Why wouldn't you? I mean I don't cuz I want to target bill gate's lovers. But I DO carry a linux operating system (on my thumbdrive) with me everywhere I go.
wow, on a thumbdrive? Please show, lol. Also, would i be able to code with c++?
Quote Originally Posted by 258456 View Post
wow, on a thumbdrive? Please show, lol. Also, would i be able to code with c++?
How would I show I have linux installed on my thumbdrive? lol...

It's ubuntu, which is easily installed onto thumbdrives.

Although not exactly linux, it's a linux derived operating system, which was what linux was made for.
lol, sorry i didn't mean physically show me, i meant like show me how. One question though, How is it ran on your computer because shouldn't it boot on that OS not the OS you have your flash drive plugged in to?
Quote Originally Posted by 258456 View Post
lol, sorry i didn't mean physically show me, i meant like show me how. One question though, How is it ran on your computer because shouldn't it boot on that OS not the OS you have your flash drive plugged in to?
You need to select some stuff as the computer is booting... Most computers priorities are disk > USB drive > HD though.
thanks a bunch
Not a problem...

Google ubuntu on USB drive... Somewhere you should find a tutorial

Although I believe there is an ubuntu version specifically FOR USB drives.

It's really nice when people are all like "Oemgee I just has a major viruseess"

I get to call them an idiot politely, whip out my keychain and lend them an operating system LOL.
Quote Originally Posted by 258456 View Post
umm.... I would rather code for windows.
Then why was this question asked? :L

Quote Originally Posted by 258456 View Post
wow, on a thumbdrive? Please show, lol. Also, would i be able to code with c++?
Windows can be run from a USB flash drive - in fact, I'm running one now !
Quote Originally Posted by freedompeace View Post


Then why was this question asked? :L



Windows can be run from a USB flash drive - in fact, I'm running one now !
Any operating system can be run from a USB flash drive. But windows costs money. Something many of us don't have or have but don't want to part with.
Well, freedompeace, i asked because i wanted to see if there were any extra benefits, but there isn't so i don't want to make a whole transition.
Alright legit answer time.

Because you believe in the freeware movement. Linux is free and open source meaning you can look at it's source code. You can improve ANY Linux distro you see fit, and help EVERYBODY that use ANY form of Linux. Linux is alive because of the goodwill of the people who takes their time to code free programs for Linux. There is no benefit to coding on Linux (other than the fact it is smaller than windows, and in some cases faster), there is less options for compilers and IDE's on Linux. There is no positive, but there is no negative. Just different API's, and no selling your work.
Posts 1–15 of 17 · Page 1 of 2

Post a Reply

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us