Processors

Posts 1–7 of 7 · Page 1 of 1
Processors
So I decided to get a laptop for christmas that would run games well, but it has a 1.5ghz processor so I'm thinking about buying an intel core i5/i7 (depends on how much money I get) cpu that has 2.5ghz+.

For the main question, do processors have to be specially made for laptops, or are processors for both desktops and laptops?
If this is the question you were going to ask me in your Private Message, I have no idea
Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
If this is the question you were going to ask me in your Private Message, I have no idea
Yeah, it was .
Quote Originally Posted by J Miliam View Post
Yeah, it was .
Although, actually at first glance I just dismissed this as a question about processors, which automatically catagorized it as "not my area" -- but this seems pretty simple. A desktop processor won't work on a laptop as far as I know (you could just check google: can a desktop processor be used in a laptop - Google Search)
Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Although, actually at first glance I just dismissed this as a question about processors, which automatically catagorized it as "not my area" -- but this seems pretty simple. A desktop processor won't work on a laptop as far as I know (you could just check google: can a desktop processor be used in a laptop - Google Searchⓘ)
Now my only problem is decoding whether a processor model is for laptops or not.
Simply put: each CPU has a certain socket or sockets it can fit in; mobile platforms usually have different sockets than desktop platforms, even if they are from the same generation (e.g. PGA988 vs LGA1156). Most likely you won't be able to use a "desktop" cpu in a "laptop" socket.
Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
Simply put: each CPU has a certain socket or sockets it can fit in; mobile platforms usually have different sockets than desktop platforms, even if they are from the same generation (e.g. PGA988 vs LGA1156). Most likely you won't be able to use a "desktop" cpu in a "laptop" socket.
That word mobile. I looked it up and they have mobile versions for it. I thought that was for things like phones (dumb thoughts) but that actually makes it way easier.
Posts 1–7 of 7 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Need help?