Thanks

Post Your computer, SAFE

If you are connected to the internet, you need to make sure you get your computer set up properly if you want to avoid problems down the road. With all the viruses, spyware and other threats on the internet today, no computer should be set up without the proper protection. And that protection needs to be in place as soon after you hook up your new machine as possible.

Here are some tips on keeping your computer safe:

1. Spyware:
    Spyware is software that sends your personal information to a third party without your permission or knowledge. This can include information about Web sites you visit or something more sensitive like your user name and password. Unscrupulous companies often use this data to send you unsolicited targeted advertisements. Some new computers might includes antispyware software, but most of them don't yet. There are quite a few anti-spyware programs available, some free and some not. Many of the programs don't catch it until you run a scan. Not only does this allow things to get on your computer, it also means you have to actually remember to run a scan. Never download programs or files from a website you don't know and trust. Never open email attachments unless you know what they are. If you receive an email from a friendFeature Articles, but the text is strange and you don't know what the attachment is do not open it. Write to your friend and make sure they sent the email. Keep an antivirus program running on your computer at all times. If a hack ever says disable your anti-spyware, DONT!

2. Hackers:
    A hacker is a programmer who breaks into computer systems in order to steal or change or destroy information as a form of cyber-terrorism. A firewall is a piece of software or hardware that sits between your computer and the internet and only allows certain types of things to cross the wall. For example, a firewall may allow checking email and browsing the web, but disallow things that are commonly not as useful such as RPC or "Remote Procedure Calls". (Make sure to consider a firewall.) Sometimes, typically via email, Hackers are able to cross the wall and end up on your computer anyway. A virus scanner will locate and remove them from your hard disk. A real time virus scanner will notice them as they arrive, even before they hit the disk, but at the cost of slowing down your machine a little. (Always have a virus scan ready.) Some small ways that are done manually are if you notice the background on your desktop, files being moved to the recycle bin, your computer not starting up the first time, big exe programs being shut down while in use and not being aloud to go to security websites.

3. Viruses:
    A virus is a software program capable of reproducing itself and usually capable of causing great harm to files or other programs on the same computer. A true virus cannot spread to another computer without human assistance. Be wise in what you open as an attachment or web-page. If you don't know the sender or are not sure of the content, email the sender to find out more information about it (or just delete it). There are many many anti-virus programs. Consider downloading a few of those and run them always. If a hack ever says disable your anti virus programs, DONT!.

4. Yourself:
    A lot of computer crashes and things like that are caused by yourself being careless or not knowing what you are doing. As I said before if anybody ever says disable your anti virus or anti spyware, DONT! Make sure you always turn on and off your computer the right way. Be careful not to drop it! If your computer gets a virus go to your anti virus/spyware control panel and click lock down firewall until the problem is fixed. When you have a virus do a virus scan, updates, disconnect your internet, leave your computer off when your not using it. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever put anything in or take anything out of your system32 folder. Don't even go into it! Never try to alter any big files. When your computer is starting up don't press anything.

5. The conflicter-worm:
    The conflicter-worm is a worm released april 1st 2009. It deletes big exe files installs spyware, downloads viruses, blocks you from going to security websites, closes programs, automatically shuts down your computer, doesnt let it start up some times and several more bad things. How you get it is from some downloads from non-trusted sites, email attachments, file sharing, through even some online games, and from smaller viruses. Some tips on keeping your computer safe from the conflict worm are always make sure downloads and attachments are trusted, do scans a lot, updates a lot, and make sure your games are sucure.

My fingers hurt right now, I will do the rest later...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habamonboii For This Useful Post:

mohammad5055 (04-12-2009),Obama (04-12-2009),Wuzupmyhomiz (04-12-2009)

Thanks
    if you want to be even more save go to google and download AVG one of the best virus protecters they give u a 30 free trial of the one u have to pay for then you get the free version

Right there... yeah, there!! can't you see?!
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    WTF?... AVG 1 of the best antivirus around the world?! LOL... what did you smoke?, a piece of shit?!

If you really want to stay protected, get NOD32... Kaspersky or something like that.

Lol AVG... good one.

Thanks
    Spybot - Search and Destroy with a basic anti-virus program is good. Also it is the Conficker Virus.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    If I was forced to use free security software , I would use the stuff Comodo has out now, it's actually quite good, the firewall is really good too.

Thanks
    The conflicter-worm is a worm released april 1st 2009. I
    No, the Conficker is a worm that has started infecting people since 2007. It has stayed invisible and was supposed to activate on April 1st, but ended up waiting a week.

In some systems, such as my old one, Conficker activated early, even though it wasn't supposed to.

WTF?... AVG 1 of the best antivirus around the world?! LOL... what did you smoke?, a piece of shit?!

If you really want to stay protected, get NOD32... Kaspersky or something like that.

Lol AVG... good one.
    You guys seem to have an addiction to commercial anti-spywares.

TheGuyWatchingJamesBondHax Picks:
    ClamWin (Free Anti-virus, open-source)
    Ubuntu (Use wine to hax)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Bitdefender was voted the best av of 2009. I got a torrent and tested it. It proved itself worthy. Trust me..I had to get rid of it because it was like living in a prison. Bitdefender kept me hostage for a while lol. Ill tell you what. You wont ever get a virus though.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama View Post
    Bitdefender was voted the best av of 2009. I got a torrent and tested it. It proved itself worthy. Trust me..I had to get rid of it because it was like living in a prison. Bitdefender kept me hostage for a while lol. Ill tell you what. You wont ever get a virus though.
    I had the same problem with TMIS, it challenged every rule, told me where I could and could not go online, what I could install...I had to get rid of it, because albeit very effective, it was a huge pain in the ass. I also find it funny how many of these choobs choose to go cheap on security software (or use free versions that don't even get rid of the mal-ware).Oh well its thier computer..

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    This is wrong section, should be in General section.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    NOD32 ftw...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by batudancer View Post
    LOL... what did you smoke?, a piece of shit?!
    err.....learn your facts. you cant smoke a piece of shit...yes ive tried.. .. OO i just 'd you!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Quote Originally Posted by jake1031 View Post
    err.....learn your facts. you cant smoke a piece of shit...yes ive tried.. .. OO i just 'd you!
    1st of all i was just joking.
    2nd of all ....WTF???
    Last edited by batudancer; 04-13-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: wtf?!