HelpMySQL and VB

Posts 1–15 of 17 · Page 1 of 2
MySQL and VB
Hey guys I need to create a vb app that connects to a database for an assignment and wanted to use MySQL because I prefer it. Is this a sensible idea or is it stupid to even think about attempting it? If it is, what would you recommend using instead?
By assignment you mean for school?
i prefer using php
Quote Originally Posted by Biesi View Post
i prefer using php
Everyone should. Its more secure
Its good If you're working on a computer project or some sort. But If you're looking for making a secure program, mysql then would be pointless. I'd rather go for php. As its easier to code and more secure.
lol?

@OP I assume your question was about using MySql as the database? Php is a web scripting language.

MySql is awesome and will work great as long as your not adding billions of rows of data or having hundreds of thousands of users per second.

imo.
Quote Originally Posted by Cryptonic View Post
By assignment you mean for school?
Umm, kind of. I'm studying for a HND which is the equivalent to the first two years of a university course.

Quote Originally Posted by abuckau907 View Post
lol?

@OP I assume your question was about using MySql as the database? Php is a web scripting language.

MySql is awesome and will work great as long as your not adding billions of rows of data or having hundreds of thousands of users per second.

imo.
Yeah, basically I need to create an app in visual basic. This app needs to then connect to a database and I wanted to use MySQL as the database, not too sure why php started getting mentioned. It's only a small app so won't be used intensively or need to be secure as it will only be used when I demo it to my tutor.
Quote Originally Posted by Genoble View Post


Umm, kind of. I'm studying for a HND which is the equivalent to the first two years of a university course.



Yeah, basically I need to create an app in visual basic. This app needs to then connect to a database and I wanted to use MySQL as the database, not too sure why php started getting mentioned. It's only a small app so won't be used intensively or need to be secure as it will only be used when I demo it to my tutor.
So, what do you need help with..?
Quote Originally Posted by DawgiiStylz View Post

So, what do you need help with..?
Will vb and MySQL work well together or not?
Quote Originally Posted by Genoble View Post


Will vb and MySQL work well together or not?
Yes .
Quote Originally Posted by DawgiiStylz View Post

Yes .
and lastly, is it a pain in the ass or relatively simple?
Quote Originally Posted by Genoble View Post


and lastly, is it a pain in the ass or relatively simple?
Very simple. You just need to start a connection and you can work with the database from that point on till you close it. Quick and easy to use for the user as well
Quote Originally Posted by DawgiiStylz View Post

Very simple. You just need to start a connection and you can work with the database from that point on till you close it. Quick and easy to use for the user as well
Cheers, just what I was after.
Quote Originally Posted by Genoble View Post


Umm, kind of. I'm studying for a HND which is the equivalent to the first two years of a university course.



Yeah, basically I need to create an app in visual basic. This app needs to then connect to a database and I wanted to use MySQL as the database, not too sure why php started getting mentioned. It's only a small app so won't be used intensively or need to be secure as it will only be used when I demo it to my tutor.
vb6.0? or higher?

I have vb6.0

*use WampServer and install it

*for mySQL use MySQL connector - google it
settings in ODBC for the connector
I use data environment (DE) for coding

I hope it helps with you sir
Quote Originally Posted by OGHgamer View Post


vb6.0? or higher?

I have vb6.0

*use WampServer and install it

*for mySQL use MySQL connector - google it
settings in ODBC for the connector
I use data environment (DE) for coding

I hope it helps with you sir
I'm using VB.net in visual studios 2012 and WampServer

been trying to find the connection string I need for ODBC but it's not going too well, any ideas?
Posts 1–15 of 17 · Page 1 of 2

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us