Prototype game play mechanics

Posts 1–15 of 24 · Page 1 of 2
Prototype game play mechanics

http://i43.tinypic.com/fvcp4z.jpg

Prototype game play mechanics, I have been trying to design a game from the ground up, I have a design document for the user interface, this is currently a single player game, designed to test the game play mechanics, once am happy with the way the enemy and player are interacting with each other, the next step is to start writing the game play mechanics on the server, I already have a lot of this code from previous projects am wanting to make a fast pace mmo game like rotmg.

Currently there are 2 projectiles one for the player and one for the enemy, each projectile does 10 damage, both player and enemy have 100 hit points each, if the player hit points goes below 0 the game restarts, try to kill all 5 enemy.

Current features
Movement code for the player, animation, and shooting
hold down the left mouse button to shoot

Enemy AI including roaming behaviour and predicting the player position used for creating enemy bullets.

This is a very basic game prototype only taken me around 12 hours to put together , am releasing it in the hope I can get some feedback Negative or positive, i want to know what needs to be improved and to see if the game as potential to be fun or not.

https://www.virustotal.com/uk/file/f...is/1371740659/
Prototype 00.zip - Jotti's malware scan

Prototype 00_mpgh.net.zip1.7 MB · 77 downloads Clean
Nice choice using GML as your base language, I tried that once to make a simple game, and programming player movement and projectiles is easier than it would be with this language- because it's meant for making games.
Quote Originally Posted by cucuYeL View Post
Nice choice using GML as your base language, I tried that once to make a simple game, and programming player movement and projectiles is easier than it would be with this language- because it's meant for making games.
Thanks I have extensive knowledge with the old game maker and game maker studio , including writing 3d engines, complex physics based plat formers, tower defence game with 2000 plus entities , all highly developed systems, I first started using game maker back in 2005 and have a lot of prototype engines.
Approved. Pretty good, I had fun with it.
Will it be 39dll'ed?

http://i43.tinypic.com/jrup2e.jpg

Frame rate independent movement code

3 clients are connected to the server on a local host
The server sends a shot packet and each client creates the bullet in the same location,
the bullets are moving at 100 pixels a second
Once the bullets have travel for 250 pixels
the time taken to travel the distance is printed out on the screen in milliseconds

Each game client as a different (fps or game step per second), 60,40,20
The results are identical, frame rate independent movement is really important


@Alde.
game maker studio as a built in socket network library
Quote Originally Posted by Botmaker View Post
game maker studio as a built in socket network library
Really? --' And I used 39dll for so long D: Does it work well?
Quote Originally Posted by Alde. View Post
Really? --' And I used 39dll for so long D: Does it work well?
YoYoGames recently included networking into game maker studio (around February 2013 YoYo Games) , my opinion on there networking library is limited, as I only started using the inbuilt networking functions today, there buffer functions are bugged, also they offer limited functionality compared to my own buffer functions, it needs some refinements to how buffers are handled, especially to how strings are written into the buffers, there buffer copying method is really bad, but I’ve worked around the limitations, once I have a projectile system written, I will be running a full test to see how well there networking code handles under heavy load.

39dll is useful, I’ve used it before for experimenting, and might use it again if needed.


http://i41.tinypic.com/2lwllpd.jpg
whatever kind of aim u gave those meduas should be in rotmg nice job botmaker!
inb4rage but does this work on mac?
Looks, great, I made a realm-like game with my friend a while back, it's on steam workshop.
Search "Quest" under GM:Studio in steam workshop, made by King/C453 @Botmaker
some (easy) ideas:
at 0 hp grave?
regen 10 per 10 sec? 5 sec?
kill count?
*Didn't check it out yet. Maybe later. Looks good though!
Day 2 projectile system

I have the correct code for moving a projectile in a straight line, independent of the fps, and base on the current time in milliseconds, including the speed

I need a way to calculate the projectile x and y position on a sine wave based off the current time in milliseconds , using the amplitude and frequency for the wave movement, any help?

Sine Wave Geometry
Time period frequency formula for frequency cycle duration periodic time period to angular frequency wavelength Hz to millisecond ms calculation calculate calculator Hz hertz to ms T to f worksheet definition amplitude angular frequency - sengpielaud

Facts:

Amplitude
The amplitude of a sine wave is the maximum distance it ever reaches from zero.

Frequency
The frequency of a sine wave is the number of complete cycles that happen every second.

What you need to know about trigonometry is that sin and cos are both periodical functions, meaning that it will get the same values periodically. For example, 10*sin(t) will always get values between -10 and 10 (these included), and it will keep on going from one end to another. This is what creates the wave action.

Code:
   <Projectile id="0">
         <ObjectId>Blue Magic</ObjectId>
         <Damage>55</Damage>
         <Speed>60</Speed>
         <LifetimeMS>2000</LifetimeMS>
         <Size>150</Size>
         <Amplitude>0.05</Amplitude>
         <Frequency>10</Frequency>
      </Projectile>


http://i40.tinypic.com/6jfsja.jpg
Thought this looked interesting, so I thought I'd jot something down real quick. In your example above, if the angle you're "firing" at is 0, then the calculation should be
Code:
dx = speed*timeDelta;
dy = sin(timeDelta*frequency)*amplitude;
This gives you a point in 2D space. If you want to rotate it based on the angle a player is firing at, you would have to rotate the point about the origin n degrees. An example can be found here: 2D Rotation
believe sqrt(dx^2+dy^2) gives you the magnitude r, and atan2(dy,dx) gives you the original angle theta. So you would end up subtracting theta from the player shooting angle to get psi, after which point you have all the variables needed to plug into the equation
x' = r cos ( q + f ) = r cos q cos f - r sin q sin f
y' = r sin ( q + w ) = r sin q cos f + r cos q sin f

I'm sure there is a simpler way to do it, but hopefully this helps somewhat.
Quote Originally Posted by marinepower View Post
Thought this looked interesting, so I thought I'd jot something down real quick. In your example above, if the angle you're "firing" at is 0, then the calculation should be
Code:
dx = speed*timeDelta;
dy = sin(timeDelta*frequency)*amplitude;
This gives you a point in 2D space. If you want to rotate it based on the angle a player is firing at, you would have to rotate the point about the origin n degrees. An example can be found here: 2D Rotation
believe sqrt(dx^2+dy^2) gives you the magnitude r, and atan2(dy,dx) gives you the original angle theta. So you would end up subtracting theta from the player shooting angle to get psi, after which point you have all the variables needed to plug into the equation
x' = r cos ( q + f ) = r cos q cos f - r sin q sin f
y' = r sin ( q + w ) = r sin q cos f + r cos q sin f

I'm sure there is a simpler way to do it, but hopefully this helps somewhat.
Thanks for this information marinepower, it‘s very useful , I am trying it now!, I will post results as soon as possible.
Posts 1–15 of 24 · Page 1 of 2

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us