HelpStrange Error [Need Help FAST]

Posts 1–4 of 4 · Page 1 of 1
Strange Error [Need Help FAST]
I'm using windows 8.1 Preview
.Net Framework installed

in any Vb.net app, When I Make any "Process.start" code this Comes out :


I Don't know what to do !!
(I've never used windows8)

Sounds like Windows(R) doesn't know which program to open web-addresses with.
Go into your browser's settings and make sure it is set as "Default Browser" (do you have multiple browsers installed?)



Optionally, you can specify which browser to use: Process.Start(browser,url)
Can look up which browsers are installed via the registry.


I'm pretty sure the problem is that Windows doesn't which which program is the "default" browser. Not sure why tho. (have you recently un-installed a browser? Or anything related to your browser)


create a new .txt file and save it as a .html file on your desktop: which icon does it have? FireFox, IE, other?
Quote Originally Posted by abuckau907 View Post
(I've never used windows8)

Sounds like Windows(R) doesn't know which program to open web-addresses with.
Go into your browser's settings and make sure it is set as "Default Browser" (do you have multiple browsers installed?)



Optionally, you can specify which browser to use: Process.Start(browser,url)
Can look up which browsers are installed via the registry.


I'm pretty sure the problem is that Windows doesn't which which program is the "default" browser. Not sure why tho. (have you recently un-installed a browser? Or anything related to your browser)


create a new .txt file and save it as a .html file on your desktop: which icon does it have? FireFox, IE, other?
Google Chrome is set to default !
what should I do ?
Google similar problems involving process.start & windows 8 & chrome. Maybe is chrome specific problem...

edit: similar problem to yours
http://weblog.west-wind.com/posts/20...s-on-Windows-8

a solution?
http://byteflux.me/opening-an-url-in...-on-windows-8/
In my case, I was trying to start an URL using the default browser from an elevated application. ...

The code checks if UAC is enabled and if you are running under an elevated account. If this is the case, instead of passing the URL directly (which leads to an error), it starts explorer.exe with the URL as the argument. The “runas” verb is an undocumented verb which basically makes the process run under administrative privileges:
^^maybe it's a Windows8 UAC thing? My understanding is that if your process is runnin as Admin, it'll error if the browser isn't also being ran as admin? But I don't know Windows 8, sorry. Hopefully someone who actually knows will post soon.
Posts 1–4 of 4 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us