Thanks

Lying on a Resume - When does it become unacceptable?

A topic that we discussed in our ethics class today:

Say that a student, Junior in college, has a 2.8 or a 2.9 GPA and every single internship he can find requires a minimum of a 3.2 GPA. This student knows that most companies just use an algorithm to weed out any people who don't meet that base requirements. This student also knows that most companies won't check your transcripts because you're just an intern.

The question is "Is it okay to lie on your resume in order to get a internship or job if you know they won't verify it, and where is the line where it transitions from okay to unacceptable?"

**Personally I think it's fine to lie by a couple points as long as you don't go over .4 or .5 because that just discredits everyone who truly did get that GPA. As a 4.0 student if a 2.5 student decided to say that they had the same GPA as me and got the job over me, I would know that they would eventually be figured out because there's a large difference between the two of us but they still took away an opportunity from me.

Thoughts?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmilsi For This Useful Post:

mousehouse (12-04-2019)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmilsi View Post
    **Personally I think it's fine to lie by a couple points as long as you don't go over .4 or .5 because that just discredits everyone who truly did get that GPA. As a 4.0 student if a 2.5 student decided to say that they had the same GPA as me and got the job over me, I would know that they would eventually be figured out because there's a large difference between the two of us but they still took away an opportunity from me.

Thoughts?
    Someone's effectiveness for a position isn't dependent on a grade. After finishing my fourth internship, I can confidently say, my outside experiences had more weight than my grades. Your GPA doesn't teach you effective communication skill, how to react to stress in a healthy way, or how to adapt to your work environment. Someone could be taking care of their parents, have kids, or need to work a full time job to make ends meet, all of which will impact their grades, not so much their performance for a position.

From my experience in industries outside my profession, lying is common place with most applicants. I would go so far as to say their grades don't matter at all, you still have a possibility of bringing on a shit intern. My final decision to train someone would be subjugated to their outside influences.

TLR Fuck'em
    Last edited by Iggy; 12-04-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Agreed grades shouldn't effect someone's job status. When we're in school life happens and like you said someones grades don't really show there abilities or there IQ. To me College is where we really learn about ourselves and what we want in the world and in our lives. Be happy have fun learning!! if grades were going to change the outcome of how your degree is perceived by others then what's the degree really stand for? Grade's in my view are more of a social standing point with people and businesses. Good grades show you worked hard but without more (like valedictorian or magna cum laude) places don't really look deep into your grades nor should they. If I was going to be placed based on grades I'd still be in high school ��. Passing is passing and a degree is a degree. Show your worth through your work and always Excel to being more then your titles. If I could give anyone tip to someone worried about grades that could effect there job, it would be if you love it and that's what it takes get the job you want do it but lying shouldn't be the answer to getting where you want or at least to me it's not the right way to feel fulfillment of something you worked hard for and wanted. Be honest and don't be discouraged if you didn't get the job try again or look elsewhere. Just don't give up!!

Life is lemons make what you want out of it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    To me, it becomes unacceptable the moment you get caught.
    If you have asked around and verified that they won't check then go for it. The worst that can happen is what? They deny you?
    Just make sure you have a backup plan if the worst happens.

I'll be serious for a moment. It can be considered unethical (depending on your philosophy), but I would argue that we as humans have a duty to do what we can to maximize success and happiness.

If there is a line, I would say it would be lying about skills. Skills have an actual affect on your performance in the workplace. Your grades don't really tell the whole picture considering that there can be many reasons as to why your grades are not up to their standards.
    Last edited by Ciel; 12-12-2019 at 02:44 PM.