Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

The Coming A.I. Revolution

What is Watson?

In one week the world will change forever.

Man vs. Machine is the name of the game and in 6 days the most incredible contests since Deep Blue beat the chess grand master Kasparov is about to take place on National Television. The super computer developed by IBM "WATSON" is preparing to take on the Jeopardy grand champion Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter. I don't know about you, but I don't just find jeopardy hard, I suck at it, but you have to be really good at remembering facts to compete on it. WATSON will answer these complex tricky question at the same time as the Contestants. The technical implications of this will be invaluable, but the more important thing and the reason we are all watching is the social implication. Imagine a computer that can give you any answer as long as it's written in a book somewhere, even if it doesn't understand it, and you can just begin to see how this will change everything. The A.I. Winter is finally over welcome to the Re-Birth of A.I., and just in time for 2012, while were at it.
    Showtimes: Jeopardy 7:30PM EST, Febuary 14, 15, & 16

Quote Originally Posted by IBM
    The DeepQA Project

A computer system that can directly and precisely answer natural language questions over an open and broad range of knowledge has been envisioned by scientists and writers since the advent of computers themselves. Consider, for example, the "Computer" in Star Trek. Taken to its ultimate form, broad and accurate open-domain question answering may well represent a crowning achievement for the field of Artificial Intelligence (AI).

While current computers can store and deliver a wealth of digital content created by humans, they are unable to operate over it in human terms. The quest for building a computer system that can do open-domain Question Answering is ultimately driven by a broader vision that sees computers operating more effectively in human terms rather than strictly computer terms. They should function in ways that understand complex information requirements, as people would express them, for example, in natural language questions or interactive dialogs. Computers should deliver precise, meaningful responses, and synthesize, integrate, and rapidly reason over the breadth of human knowledge as it is most rapidly and naturally produced -- in natural language text.

The possibilities for enriching our global community and accelerating the pace at which we can exploit and expand human knowledge, solve problems and help each other in ways never before imagined, rests on our ability to bring information technology out of the era of operating in computer terms and into the era of operating in human terms.

The DeepQA project at IBM shapes a grand challenge in Computer Science that aims to illustrate how the wide and growing accessibility of natural language content and the integration and advancement of Natural Language Processing, Information Retrieval, Machine Learning, Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, and massively parallel computation can drive open-domain automatic Question Answering technology to a point where it clearly and consistently rivals the best human performance.

A first stop along the way is the Jeopardy! Challenge...

Smartest Machine On Earth
    There will be a NOVA Program on this great even tommorrow, Wednesday 10 P.M., Febuary 9th. Check it out if you can. "Smartest Machine on Earth" Will give you a behind the scenes look at the practice rounds and development of WATSON before the big day... well days, Febuary 14, 15, & 16 on Jeopardy.

Yes I have been gearing up for this post all day. Excuse me for geeking out a little bit, I can do that on the internet.
    Last edited by why06; 02-08-2011 at 05:54 PM.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    They already did a pilot episode with watson. He does work.
    Hip Hop thread Part 1 (No Longer Updated): https://www.mpgh.net/forum/316-music-...-hop-list.html
    Part 2 (No Longer Updated): https://www.mpgh.net/forum/2-general/...ad-pt-2-a.html
    Part 3: COMING SOON

Thanks
    Pretty interesting I might just tune into the show to see how this plays out.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    god daum amazing .

Thanks
    tell me what happens i dont watch tv much

Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding
    They didnt watch I, Robot or something?
    It was a warning

Ex-Minion
    Ex-Mod
    8/17/11

Greycloak
    Midcent
    MrAntagonist
    WomboCombo
    JakeyXD
    Wolfram

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WomboCombo View Post
    They didnt watch I, Robot or something?
    It was a warning
    Guess we will have to see

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    [youtube]WFR3lOm_xhE[tube]
    Hip Hop thread Part 1 (No Longer Updated): https://www.mpgh.net/forum/316-music-...-hop-list.html
    Part 2 (No Longer Updated): https://www.mpgh.net/forum/2-general/...ad-pt-2-a.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iverson954360 View Post
    They just got destroyed.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Chicks dig Watson

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Watson detsroyed them =(
    They wouldnt heed Will Smith's warning and it's entirely their fault.

Ex-Minion
    Ex-Mod
    8/17/11

Greycloak
    Midcent
    MrAntagonist
    WomboCombo
    JakeyXD
    Wolfram

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    IBM will controll the world in the future, Intelligent Business Machines just took on a new meaning.
    Last edited by CyberGenius; 02-08-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    You have no idea how much this inspires me to program, even though we're on completely different levels. o_O

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    IBM helped murder millions of jews.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    IBM helped murder millions of jews.
    Computers would have never existed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast