QuestionHelpProgramming Pathway Guidance

Posts 1–2 of 2 · Page 1 of 1
Programming Pathway Guidance
Hello MPGH,

I have made this post asking for some guidance on what I should learn. It's been all of a sudden where I became really curious/interested in programming and reverse engineering, all because of some random person who crashed my Call of Duty game and popped up with some message box about security issues in the game.

My concerns are the pathway I should take as person with no programming experience. So far I'm leaning towards starting off with C then C++, and then some assembly. I am very interested in game hacking and exploit development in games, and maybe this will progress onto reverse engineering malware and such, as that has also piqued my curiosity.

I have also looked at some books and online resources, especially some on this forum which there are many of, but many of them assume some programming knowledge though there are some for complete beginners, I would like to have some recommendations especially since I am sure there many contemporary/better resources made ever since. I would like to use a resource which guides and allows me to learn about the language, the science behind it, rather than simply teaching the syntax.

Hopefully, I wasn't just rambling on, and I can get guidance and recommendations on resources.

Thank you very much.
C and C++ are the same. C++ is C with newer features. To get the background you will need to understand about how the CPU works and how it interacts with the memory. Some subjects to search on Google are:
"CPU Instructions"

differences between data types (data can also be instructions of code),
"How do computers read code?"

"Stack vs Heap Memory"

<- this one might be difficult to understand without programming knowledge.
Anyways, you were right to choose C++ as the starting point. You should use a good c++ teaching website, and the compiler should be Microsoft Visual Studio. Good luck
Posts 1–2 of 2 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us