What to know when getting a cat?

Posts 1–15 of 41 · Page 1 of 3
What to know when getting a cat?
Thinking about getting a cat, don't really know what to expect since I've never had one before.

For people who have/have had cats, how time consuming is it to take care of them and how much are costs?
I have a bengal cat, infact the one I have is actually no longer legal (Legal for me though since I had it before the legality changed).

Basically, cats are assholes. They are noisy, messy, (their piss stinks like fuck) and honestly they don't show much love towards you.

I may be a bit biased, but I'd say get a doggo instead. Heres a picture of a Klee Kai

Quote Originally Posted by Luverdark View Post
I have a bengal cat, infact the one I have is actually no longer legal (Legal for me though since I had it before the legality changed).

Basically, cats are assholes. They are noisy, messy, (their piss stinks like fuck) and honestly they don't show much love towards you.

I may be a bit biased, but I'd say get a doggo instead. Heres a picture of a Klee Kai

I can't really get a dog right now. I'm really busy irl and would have minimal time to take it for walks/play with it. I've heard that getting a cat is better than getting a kitten since it adjusts better to your home.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleOldMaN View Post
I've had 2 cats before, the only thing I would recommend (for me at least) is too try to find a cat that is calm and cuddles with you, those type are a lot less annoying than hyper cats, and as far as costs all you really need to buy is a litter box and food, you dont need any fancy dishes or cat toys, although I would recommend it. Time consumption is all up to the cat if it's low maintenance or high.
Did you get them as kittens or did you adopt them as adults?
Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I can't really get a dog right now. I'm really busy irl and would have minimal time to take it for walks/play with it. I've heard that getting a cat is better than getting a kitten since it adjusts better to your home.

- - - Updated - - -



Did you get them as kittens or did you adopt them as adults?


Both were kittens, and almost every time a kitten is high maintenance so it might be hard at first
Quote Originally Posted by PurpleOldMaN View Post
Both were kittens, and almost every time a kitten is high maintenance so it might be hard at first
Do you recommend getting an older cat like 6+ months? I was checking a local shelter and there was this 1 year old female that I really liked, I was also told that first time owners should get older cats.
Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Do you recommend getting an older cat like 6+ months? I was checking a local shelter and there was this 1 year old female that I really liked, I was also told that first time owners should get older cats.

Yea if you really like that cat, 1 year isnt bad
I've had 2 cats before, the only thing I would recommend (for me at least) is too try to find a cat that is calm and cuddles with you, those type are a lot less annoying than hyper cats, and as far as costs all you really need to buy is a litter box and food, you dont need any fancy dishes or cat toys, although I would recommend it. Time consumption is all up to the cat if it's low maintenance or high.
One thing to be aware of if you're getting an outdoor cat is that they will bring in voles, birds etc. and they're not always dead.
cats are rude :c havent had one before but like i always get hurt by them
If possible try to get a grown cat from the shelter, they are less adopted and more often put down because nobody wants them or they get sick/ringworms. Kittens are adopted much more often so it'd be more ideal if more people adopted older cats instead of just kittens. Once you get a cat, their characteristics can vary so much. Some cats are good at playing (retracting their claws), some just like to be loved, others don't like being pet, some are really smart some are really stupid, some are skittish some aren't. So keep all of that in mind when hearing opinions from people who've only cared for a single cat or two in their life. When you get a cat or kitten especially you want to drag their paws through the litter box. Sometimes if they're not retard cats they'll smell the litter and start shitting in there right away. You can feed your cats dry food or wet food either or, dry food. Don't give them too much dairy (milk, cheese) they're specifically carnivores unlike dogs which are technically omnivores. They will eat non-meats though, it's just not ideal for their digestion. Some cats will eat, pasta, cheese, french fries/potatoes, and even pizzas. However healthier things for them are cooked chicken, cooked fish, and even cooked eggs, so long as it's cooked especially if it came from America.

Cost wise all depends on how much care and what quality of care you're intending to give. Generally it'll cost maybe a 50 to a hundred a month probably less especially if you just by an 8 dollar bag of dry cat food and call it a day. Cat's can take care of themselves, however if a cat is raised in a house all it's life of course it's not going to do very well outside. Cats can survive hurricanes, dog will insta death.
If you have leather or synthetic leather anything, say RIP.
Quote Originally Posted by Luverdark View Post
Basically, cats are assholes. They are noisy, messy, (their piss stinks like fuck) and honestly they don't show much love towards you.
That's because you have a Bengal, which can barely be considered a domesticated cat. I've had 7 cats through my life so far, and none of them were particularly loud, and all of them were very personable and would love to show affection toward people.
get a black one, stand on a ladder, and call it.
my cat is chill as fuck, never makes messes, never meows, is super loving, and will actually listen to me when I tell to to go in its bed or to go outside.

all the cost is just in food and the kitty litter, I buy two 50 pound bags of food at a time and they last a few months, also if you buy one new with not shots it will cost some money for their shots but I didn't have to do that. its also good to get them fixed that usually chills them out if you have a crazy cat.

if you get cat that you let outside a lot like mine, make sure to get it checked for worms frequently as my cats gotten worms 4 times and it sucks having to pay for deworming medicine it can also make them shit a lot more then normal. then you find tons of small worm looking things all over the house and thats super fucking nasty or just don't let them eat the birds/mince/animals they kill so they don't get worms.

my cat I pretty much just let her do her own thing all day, never have to bath her or trim her claws and all the stuff dogs require, but I also own two dogs. a german shepherd and a pug/Boston terrier mix
Bruh, get a kitten. The experience watching it grow and become attached to you is a great feeling.
Posts 1–15 of 41 · Page 1 of 3

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Need help?