Simple c++ help needed

Posts 16–21 of 21 · Page 2 of 2
I thought you get 0xFF when space if pressed.... Now I'm off to find a reliable way to make sure cin never enters a failstate
I thought space was 0x20. . . Whatever it is, I am almost certain it isn't 0x00 , because Im pretty sure that is just a null character A.K.A \0

What are we talking about again?
Yes on the chart I have in front of me both 0x20 and 0xFF are spaces so I guess the terminating character is simply 0x00 or null. We were talking about helping me along with my factoring program which I have finished and its rock solid now thanks to these ways of checking the input.

One last question though.... does anyone happen to know if c++ allows you to manipulate super large numbers in ways other than using math libraries or writing your own functions to do math with arrays?
Anyhow I think 0x00 IS SPACE but you're right to it is at the same time terminating the char

make the experience and enter in cin>>here a char
and enter "blablabla thisisspace" and then look in the char.... I got only blablabla and the rest is lost...
Quote Originally Posted by doofbla View Post
Anyhow I think 0x00 IS SPACE but you're right to it is at the same time terminating the char

make the experience and enter in cin>>here a char
and enter "blablabla thisisspace" and then look in the char.... I got only blablabla and the rest is lost...
That is because "cin >>" uses whitespace to concatenate strings, I shall copy an excerpt from one of my favourite C++ Books:

Quote Originally Posted by C++ Primer Plus, 5th edition
The problem lies with how cin determines when you’ve finished entering a string. You can’t
enter the null character from the keyboard, so cin needs some other means for locating the
end of a string. The cin technique is to use whitespace—spaces, tabs, and newlines—to delineate
a string. This means cin reads just one word when it gets input for a character array. After
it reads this word, cin automatically adds the terminating null character when it places the
string into the array.
Correlation does not indicate causation.
ahaaaa ok good to know so thank you
Posts 16–21 of 21 · Page 2 of 2

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us