[Help]Nice GUI for your forms[Solved]

Posts 1–15 of 19 · Page 1 of 2
[Help]Nice GUI for your forms[Solved]
Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my basic GUI's to some much smoother and better looking ones!

I searched the forums, and google, etc...
But the only things i could find were Telerik and some unknown theme programs, i downloaded some of them but none of them worked, i use vb08 and on the websites they say it is compatible with 08 so i downloaded some tuts, but that weren't helpfull either!

Do you guys know some 'working' things to let the forms look better? (like forms lay-out, buttons, ...)

Thanks in advance
You could Photoshop something and add it to the form.
Photoshop it.
I guarantee it will look much better and original than some gui that everyone else is using.
Custom GUI = Photoshop
Free Components from DevExpress

And you're good to go.
Yes photoshop...

can we close for redundancy?
hmmm, Close? No, Not in this case I wouldn't
Spam? Yes.

However, Some offer a little more when they post, as to my example, Photoshop alone is great, however, your components should look great as well as the form, and yes you can create custom components, but with the 60 free by DevExpress, there is no need to.
Yeah photoshop...but why does everyone forget about GDI+? It's really easy to create a spiffy looking GUI that's low on resources using GDI+. I'll see if I can find a screenshot of one I made for NG without any custom shizniz.

Here:


I know it's hardly a "super-professional" look, but it was created without any external components (like Telerik, dotnetbar...etc)
Look a sneak peak at the wannacode custom registration app, developed by Jason.

Looks good, yes GDI is another great way to go, and a lot easier then the results make it appear to be.
photoshop it, thats what i do and it looks great too
Quote Originally Posted by HalfBajan View Post
photoshop it, thats what i do and it looks great too
It's been said like 4 times in this thread. As mnpeep said, we need to get rid of repetitive and redundant posts.
Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Yeah photoshop...but why does everyone forget about GDI+? It's really easy to create a spiffy looking GUI that's low on resources using GDI+. I'll see if I can find a screenshot of one I made for NG without any custom shizniz.

Here:


I know it's hardly a "super-professional" look, but it was created without any external components (like Telerik, dotnetbar...etc)
But really slow =/

(just putting that out there for others)
Quote Originally Posted by freedompeace View Post
But really slow =/

(just putting that out there for others)
depends really, yes it will affect loading time if you're drawing a shitload of stuff with GDI, I will concede that. Something simple like the GUI I showed, doesn't affect the load time at all.
Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post


depends really, yes it will affect loading time if you're drawing a shitload of stuff with GDI, I will concede that. Something simple like the GUI I showed, doesn't affect the load time at all.
Yep..

The load time is negligible... I mean people wait in excess of a minute waiting for games to start up and what not. I was referring the the redraws. If something is invalidated, and you're drawing a huge complex UI, then another framework will probably be better.

As is drawing an animated UI, where parts (or all) of the form is invalidated and needs to be redrawn regularly.
Thanks for the replies

I'll try to get DevExpress and try it out on my forms

This can be closed if you want to, i have enough information to get going

Thanks guys !

EDIT: i downloaded DevExpress and installed it but none of the tutorials seem to work with me :| someone has a working tut?
Devexpress components don't really require tutorials, add them to your toolbar drag and drop them into the form, most of the components act the same way as standard windows components, Properties to the right, intellesense , and your basics.

Meaning , use them the same way you use other components.
Posts 1–15 of 19 · Page 1 of 2
This thread is closed for replies.

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us