Direct3D sprites

Posts 16–24 of 24 · Page 2 of 2
DirectX at 250 FPS. Yeah right. I have never seen anything on windows run that fast - not even pong.

SDL, a newbish API? Please. SDL will burn a noob if he doesn't know what he is doing. SDL is a superior API in that it is simplistic and powerful...name a feature DirectX has that SDL doesn't (besides too many versions).

I guess my point is they are the same. No, really. They don't match. SDL is a matter of preference. ie I like it because it RUNS my programs, unlike DX which complains about almost anything. The next thing I write, will be in SDL.

ANYWAYS back to the main topic were you able to get the sprites to work?
Lmao, your joking right? You have never seen a game run that fast? Are you running on a 400 mhz comp w/ no vid card?? Arun's computer can easily run a game at 250 FPS a second.

SDL has one of the most newbish API's I have seen, newb in how its used. Its too simple... Hence newb. Lmao, SDL doesn't have jack compared to Direct-X, all the new features would mow it over. COMPLETELY.
Guys, don't argue over me. ^^
Seriously, don't argue over which is superior, it's all a matter of opinion.

I tried SDL, I didn't really like it that much.
I tried Direct X, I liked it, because I felt more of a professional.

Just help me with sprites. ^^
Which is why SDL is preferred over DX for open source. Right. Ok.

Okk, Direct3D... so what you want to do is either init a DirectDraw interface or orient a 3D polygon to face the viewer with a texture applied to it.

When you say sprite I'm assuming you mean bitmap. So like then you orient a quad at the viewer, apply total light and orient the thing to the viewer (and apply alpha for transparency).

But if you mean sprite as in isometric then its different.

PS. You'd be right with the crappy computer -- but I've played games on much better computers with 60 fps tops.

1.4 Ghz Intel Celeron M
Intel Integrated (BLAH) Graphics GME 64 MB RAM

EDIT: Too simple, so therefore I assume you like having to init 3 different objects just to initialize a screen?
Either way a sprite is a sprite. A sprite as in an image, in ISO and as a image is the same thing. My example stated one sprite with a sprite on it, normal computers can easily hit 250 FPS, I've seen computers with 640+ FPS.
Well, are you talking about an image? Then don't use D3D use DD7.
so noonw knows if i can easily convert a gif into a sprite sheet? cmon i hate doing this crap manually -.-
You mean a surface?

I believe the method is DirectDrawSurface7::LoadFromFile(); but it only supports bitmaps. The roundabout way to do it is

1) load the gif into a GDI context with an hWnd.
2) load a directdraw surface
3) use the software blitter (BitBlt() to blit the gif bits from the GDI to the DD7 context.
Posts 16–24 of 24 · Page 2 of 2
This thread is closed for replies.

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us