updatr - Easy Application Updater

Posts 1–8 of 8 · Page 1 of 1
updatr - Easy Application Updater
Hey MPGH! I decided to create my own version of an application updater. It is in DLL form, and is pretty
decent for only running on 200 lines of code. As of now, it runs fairly well, and will only get better as I go on
developing it. As of now, the update form will simply tell you that an update is available, tell you what the new
and current versions are, and allow you to download it.

It reads a simple XML file to get all of the data required to update, and the parameters for the updater are
really simple.

Usage:
Code:
Imports updatr

Dim update As New Updater With {.dataFileURL = "http://yoursite.com/path-to-xml.xml"}
update.currentVersion = 5.0 'Replace with your application version
update.Show()
Basically, the application will check to see if there is an update, and if there is, display the form. If not, it will
simply tell you that it is up to date. It is written in a little under 200 lines of code, but it is not final, so I will be
adding to it later on. The XML file is also amazingly small too.

XML file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root>
  <application title=" Application Title " version=" 6.0 " url="http://your-site.com/path-to-new-version.exe"></application>
</root>
Really hard to get easier than that, unless you use a text document. (Which I am not a fan of.)
I will probably end up releasing it within the next few days so that I know that it works without error.
I will probably also be re-designing the update form too, as it is far too simple. (Doesn't include
download progress yet, as it is designed to be SUPER easy to use and install.)

Form Preview:


So yeah, it is REALLY simple, and the text "updatr" is pulled from your XML file.
I will also be adding a method of design that will allow you to store multiple
applications in 1 xml file so that you don't need to waste space on your server.
And, if possible, I will be releasing a full web-page back-end to maintain and
manage your applications, data, downloads, etc.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think!
~ZerO
nice keep it up maybe make a theme for it or something
Up-daters are not allowed on MPGH. But anyways, nice.
May I ask why they are not allowed? I mean, there is nothing wrong with the code.
And I would be more than happy to send it to a minion to check it. Just wondering
is all.. :P

~ZerO
Quote Originally Posted by iZ3RO View Post
May I ask why they are not allowed? I mean, there is nothing wrong with the code.
And I would be more than happy to send it to a minion to check it. Just wondering
is all.. :P

~ZerO
Has nothing to do with the actual code behind, it's the whole principal behind auto-updating. It circumvents the minioning system after the first release because it just auto-updates from where some .xml on a different server tells it to download the alleged "update" from. At any point in time the releaser could point the next "update" to an infected .exe and fuck everyone over who gets auto-updated to a virus.
Ahhhh. That makes sense. Oh well. I suppose I won't release it here,
but I still want to see what you guys think. :P

~ZerO
Quote Originally Posted by iZ3RO View Post
Ahhhh. That makes sense. Oh well. I suppose I won't release it here,
but I still want to see what you guys think. :P

~ZerO
Feel free to release it here, but no-one can implement it in any of their programs for the reason's above.
Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post


Feel free to release it here, but no-one can implement it in any of their programs for the reason's above.
Ehh. If no one can implement it, there really isn't a point in releasing it on MPGH. :P
I will just post when it is done and let users PM me to get it or something.
Posts 1–8 of 8 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Need help?