Permanent Database

Posts 1–11 of 11 · Page 1 of 1
Permanent Database
I have been wondering this for a long time. Is there some way in which i can make a database or a server which i don't have to have open 24/7 in order to get information from. Like just always online somehow... I have experience with winsock and I can make exactly what i am thinking of the only problem is that the server app has to be always open on my computer if i ever want to use it or somebody wants to connect. Is there a way to have something of this manner open constantly?
Quote Originally Posted by 258456 View Post
I have been wondering this for a long time. Is there some way in which i can make a database or a server which i don't have to have open 24/7 in order to get information from. Like just always online somehow... I have experience with winsock and I can make exactly what i am thinking of the only problem is that the server app has to be always open on my computer if i ever want to use it or somebody wants to connect. Is there a way to have something of this manner open constantly?
A web server or a vpn would be what your thinking of and many commercial games use them
Use a web server. You'd be able to access the database at anytime. I can provide you a permanent database if you want. Let me know.
Wow thx guys i am glad that there is a solution. So are these databases free or do you need to pay? If they are free, can you guys give me some examples? Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate your help. I have been wondering this for a long time.
Quote Originally Posted by 258456 View Post
Wow thx guys i am glad that there is a solution. So are these databases free or do you need to pay? If they are free, can you guys give me some examples? Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate your help. I have been wondering this for a long time.
They are free if you use some free domain hosting site. For example, you can use: 000webhost.com
I have a domain, and I can provide you the database. Leave me a PM if you want that.
Btw, you'll need to learn a bit of mySQL, which isn't hard really. But using it from C++ can be hard, although I am sure there will be good wrappers available, that would make your task easier.
probably use a free hosting to test it and if you are serious then pay for one
Thanks Hassan and Kibbles. And Hassan, I appreciate the offer, but I want to see if I can do it by myself, and then if i have issues i will just ask you since you apparently are experienced in this area of coding. Thanks.
Whoa, it's complicated, but I will figure it out. By the way, is there some sort of tutorial i can follow? Thanks.
try using http post/gets with winsock
Quote Originally Posted by kibbles18 View Post
try using http post/gets with winsock
K i will, but i also read that i could do it with ODBC which is mysql i believe.
IMHO the best way is to just have a php file on the server which handles the actual database side of things, this way you don't have to hardcode your authentication into your application so much, and just parse the parse the page results you get back.
Posts 1–11 of 11 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us