HelpDrop Processor?

Posts 1–8 of 8 · Page 1 of 1
Drop Processor?
So I'm just about to buy my new gaming laptop. My sights are set on the Battalion 101 P150EM (2) from Ibuypower. I have it configured with an i7 3820QM, Radeon 7970 2gb Video Card, 16 gb RAM, and 750gb Hybrid HDD with 8gb SSD. I want this thing to last for at least 7 years without needing to be replaced. I will be using it for gaming, 3d modeling/rendering, programming, video editing, and everything in between. My question is can I afford to drop the i7 down to a 3720QM without sacrificing performance, it would save me an extra $200 but I don't know if its worth it in the long run. I want this thing to be a gaming beast and be able to handle all my other activities with ease. What do you think of the setup and can I downgrade the card without worrying?

EDIT: so clueless me didn't know the battalion 101 was a rebrand. I decided to go to the source and get a sager N9150 from xotic.

SPECS:

processor: downgraded to the 3720QM
video card: stuck with the Radeon 7970 since its infinitely better than the Nvidia 675
HDD: dropped to a 7200rpm 750gb and lost the SDD altogether
RAM: went in between with 12gb at 1600

I know it wont last at the top for 7 years but it should at least survive that long... right?
Any particular reason you are getting a laptop for heavy workstation/gaming purposes?
I need the portability. I am using it mainly as a desktop replacement and will get a monitor for use when I'm at my desk.
.1Ghz won't make a world of difference. Save the $200 and get 3720QM. See if you can get a separate SSD and HDD instead of a hybrid drive. Upgrade the SSD to something larger. 120GB-128GB at least, more if you can afford it.

Check out http://www.sagernotebook.com/
They make excellent high performance notebook as well.

What kind of software do you use for video editing? If it supports CUDA, get a GPU from Nvidia. If it supports OpenGL, then getting either will be fine (AMD GPU will be better in this case since their compute power is huge).

7 years is a long time in hardware world. Things improve for the better at a really fast pace.
I'm worried mostly about how fast things improve in the technology game. Thats why I initially opted for the higher-end processor. Would buying it allow my machine to be effective longer? if so its worth the expense to me. Also I took your advice and got a 7200rpm 750gb drive and a 120 ssd. Also brought RAM down from 16gb to 8 since 16 is overkill and unnecessary. Any other tips?
Lmao at seven years. Nothing will ever last that long no matter how good they are.
Quote Originally Posted by Stevenom View Post
Lmao at seven years. Nothing will ever last that long no matter how good they are.
have to go with you on this one. with a new console generation coming which will probably create a jump forward in graphics you would probably be able to play the newest games say 3-5 years forward
What @Stevenom said.
Most computers last about 2-4 years without being annihilated by new hardware/technology etc.


---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

What @Stevenom said.
Most computers last about 2-4 years without being annihilated by new hardware/technology etc.
Posts 1–8 of 8 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us