HelpPwManager?

Posts 1–3 of 3 · Page 1 of 1
PwManager?
Is there anyway to create an infinite amount of spots for user/pass saved data?
For instance, if you were to create a password manager is there anyway for the user to add as many accounts as you want?
The only way I know of is using My.settings, and that would be limited by the amount of settings you create.. Also, without using a saved text file to store all the information. I want it to be all embedded in the application.

I explained this as best as I could, sorry if there's any confusion. :/

Is this even possible?
amount of spots for user/pass saved data -- something like an array() ?!

It's possible, actaully very easy, but you have to understand vb.net before you can...make programs in vb.net.

easiest way would probably to use a List(Of T) or a ..or since your data is in pairs, look up a containers that holds two things. I can't explain containers/ arrays/the language in 1 post.

KEEPING the data persistent is another matter -- encrypted .txt document, or sql database, or some other permanent file.

is username/password just an example? If you're new to programming, this specific example has a lot of..security risks? Safety first ofc lol.

edit2: didn't read the part about not using an external file. nvm

So really you're asking, how can I save data INTO my program (.exe)? basically?

this isn't easy because basically you're saying " well I have lots more data now..so the .exe needs to get bigger", I don't think there are any 1 liners to modify an exe like that.

--just encrypt the crap out of the data and save to file. Is there a reason not to? I mean, I see why it'd be nice if it was inside the .exe, but why is using a file not acceptable?
Why in the world would you use My.Settings to store that sort of data. That is one of the worst places to store usernames/passwords and what not. You can try to use XML files and serializing your craps there. The thing about coding your own password manager is encryption and security. If you don't employ these methods correctly you might as well store your passwords as raw text. You don't want to be giving yourself (or anyone who uses your software) a false sense of security. And no, it's not possible to embed it into the application if it's already running (Windows will prevent write changes).
Posts 1–3 of 3 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Tags for this Thread

None

Need help?