Windows API?!

Posts 1–4 of 4 · Page 1 of 1
Windows API?!
So do I NEED to learn the windows API to be able to create hacks for games? I mean, isn't the windows API more c language like. Why do I need to understand classes then? Someone told me I need to understand classes before making hacks, but you can't even use classes in the windows API as far as I understood.

Overall, is it true, that I need to learn the old windows API that is a pain in the ass to just creating small programs?
Depends on what you are making. If you are making stand-alone trainers that are external, yes you will need to learn/understand the system API.
In some cases things that you code may land up not needing any API but it is still good to understand and grasp how to use them in the chance that you need to.

Classes are not required to make hacks either. You can create hacks in pure C which does not have classes and such.

As for you saying that the API is old, it is the system API. It is needed to interact with the system itself. But the need/requirement for them depends on the application.

For example, if you wanted to make a simple calculator, no you wont need any system API to do it. If you wanted to make an application that altered another applications memory (like a trainer) yes you will need to know/understand the system API.)
Thanks for the reply!
Quote Originally Posted by Kalist View Post
So do I NEED to learn the windows API to be able to create hacks for games? I mean, isn't the windows API more c language like. Why do I need to understand classes then? Someone told me I need to understand classes before making hacks, but you can't even use classes in the windows API as far as I understood.

Overall, is it true, that I need to learn the old windows API that is a pain in the ass to just creating small programs?
The funny thing is - no matter how small the application you're writing - if you're writing it for Windows you're using the "old pain in the ass Windows API" regardless of how much wrapping and sugar you put on it. If you're using C++ on Windows (which I gather you are from the subforum selection) then you're DEFINITELY using the "old pain in the ass Windows API", seeing as the whole concept of process debugging/dll injection are all made possible by that old clunky pain in the ass Windows API (Read/WriteProcessMemory, LoadLibrary, the concept of a DllMain entry point..).

As far as I know, none of the native API entry points you'd be likely to use involve classes at all. Some do accept pointers to data structures, but that's not a "Windows API" thing; that's a "C/C++/General Programming" thing, so you can't really blame Windows for that.

How much of the Windows API you actually "learn" is entirely up to you. Some of it's old and some of it can be a pain in the ass, but it also enables you to do a great deal; hell, you can't even get your application off the ground without it.

The "classes" people are likely referring to are actually the in-game classes that the game engine uses to wrap up their data structures (member functions, variables, etc). This has nothing to do with the Windows API, but obviously knowing how the internal game data is structured will greatly enhance your ability to manipulate it to your own nefarious ends.
Posts 1–4 of 4 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us