RotMG PvP basic HowTo (private server)

Posts 1–12 of 12 · Page 1 of 1
RotMG PvP basic HowTo (private server)
It is really simple. As you all know, when the client receives an ALLYSHOOT packet, it displays a projectile that can't hit players.
In the same way, when it receives a SHOOT packet (I think it's this one, not sure tho) it displays a projectile that can trigger the hit detection on players.
To get PvP working, we should just need to send SHOOT packets instead of ALLYSHOOT ones, and treat them as enemy projectiles (already coded).
This image shows the process (basically): http://i.imgur.com/nDksICc.png
That's it. We could add some more features, but as of now I'm busy on other things.

Just wanted to tell you guys that it is possible. Feel free to try it out by yourself.
PVP isn’t possible because of the way the entity interpolation works

There are only 5 server ticks a second and every player sees a slightly different rendering of the game world, because each player sees itself in the present but sees the other entities in the past, including the other players.

Entities are rendered on the client between 200-400 milliseconds behind the server, where as the player sees it's self in the present, all other entities are seen in the past.
Quote Originally Posted by Botmaker View Post
PVP isn’t possible because of the way the entity interpolation works

There are only 5 server ticks a second and every player sees a slightly different rendering of the game world, because each player sees itself in the present but sees the other entities in the past, including the other players.

Entities are rendered on the client between 200-400 milliseconds behind the server, where as the player sees it's self in the present, all other entities are seen in the past.
That doesn't make it impossible. It just makes it a bad idea.
Quote Originally Posted by nilly View Post
That doesn't make it impossible. It just makes it a bad idea.
Right but it would be like getting shot by invisible bullets, one of the players would see the bullet pass by without hitting them, but the other client would think it as really hit the other player and send a player hit packet, if both players where standing still it would work.

The client or server or maybe both would have to do player prediction, and maybe also increase the tick time 100-50 milliseconds, the flash client entity interpolation would need to be rewritten.
Quote Originally Posted by Botmaker View Post
Right but it would be like getting shot by invisible bullets, one of the players would see the bullet pass by without hitting them, but the other client would think it as really hit the other player and send a enemy hit packet, if both players where standing still it would work.

The client or server or maybe both would have to do player prediction, and maybe also increase the tick time 100-50 milliseconds, the flash client entity interpolation would need to be rewritten.
You didn't need to reiterate what was said in your last post. I got it the first time. That's why I said it was a bad idea.
Quote Originally Posted by Botmaker View Post
getting shot by invisible bullets
Just remove serversided hit detection. THe client already has it.
And yeah, I known that already. I just was saying it was possible.
Quote Originally Posted by nilly View Post
You didn't need to reiterate what was said in your last post. I got it the first time. That's why I said it was a bad idea.
Fine I was just saying why it was bad idea.
so for a pvp server your saying you would have to restrict the ability to attack eachother to non moving, so players couldent move and attack at the same time, would be rough
Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlord3344 View Post
so for a pvp server your saying you would have to restrict the ability to attack eachother to non moving, so players couldent move and attack at the same time, would be rough
I'm pretty sure he didn't said that...

He's just saying that one do not see the same game as others, because of the response time of the server. So when try to attack others characters you'd be attacking their "shadows", since they problably won't be in the same position you're seeing them.

Don't know if I'm making any sense but that's how I see it ;S
Simply put it means there is a bit of lag between the clients. For example, when you are running to an event and tp to the first person, you see you are a bit ahead but at the exact same place on the server.
I would like to try a PVP server
wizzy spell = 1 hit KO
assassin.......................................... ..
paralyzed = killed :P
and doom bows FTW D:
or that rainbow bow XD
mystic...
Posts 1–12 of 12 · Page 1 of 1
This thread is closed for replies.

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us