Re-Writing Rotmg Private Server Source Code in C++?

Posts 1–15 of 36 · Page 1 of 3
Re-Writing Rotmg Private Server Source Code in C++?
Hey Guys, Soulforge recently announced that the dev's (Me , @noob2137 and more to come) are gonig to rewrite the whole old C# source in C++. So Right now i'm trying to learn C++ Pretty quickly so we can start to work on developing the new source. I don't know if its fine with @sjustin1996 but I would really love to release some of the source code we create out to the community since @C453 left. I'm curious to see if anybody likes the new idea and would be interested on working with a project like this . If you love the idea about Soulforge releasing some new c++ builds make sure to thank and reply about what you think of the idea Thanks guys!
Day 1: Everyone is excited, starts working on the server
Day 2: Look at all this progress we're making! Let's work overtime.
Day 3: Hmm.. I'm kinda busy today. I'll catch up tomorrow.
Day 4: You know, we're not as far as I thought we would be.
Day 5: Spent your entire day debugging 10 lines of code.
Day 6: One member of the team becomes unreachable.
Day 7: Start copy pasting from the mmoe server, and trying to rewrite the code into C++.
Day 8: Have 200 syntax errors. Give up.
Day 9: You need a break.
Day 10: You need a break.
Day 11: You need a break. So does everyone else.
Day 12 onward: Project is stuck in perpetual limbo. Eventually you all give up.

Good luck!
Quote Originally Posted by marinepower View Post
Day 1: Everyone is excited, starts working on the server
Day 2: Look at all this progress we're making! Let's work overtime.
Day 3: Hmm.. I'm kinda busy today. I'll catch up tomorrow.
Day 4: You know, we're not as far as I thought we would be.
Day 5: Spent your entire day debugging 10 lines of code.
Day 6: One member of the team becomes unreachable.
Day 7: Start copy pasting from the mmoe server, and trying to rewrite the code into C++.
Day 8: Have 200 syntax errors. Give up.
Day 9: You need a break.
Day 10: You need a break.
Day 11: You need a break. So does everyone else.
Day 12 onward: Project is stuck in perpetual limbo. Eventually you all give up.

Good luck!
Hey, I'm sorry you don't seem very into the idea sjustin made. But I really want to see how this turns out . I appreciate you replying.
Quote Originally Posted by marinepower View Post
Day 1: Everyone is excited, starts working on the server
Day 2: Look at all this progress we're making! Let's work overtime.
Day 3: Hmm.. I'm kinda busy today. I'll catch up tomorrow.
Day 4: You know, we're not as far as I thought we would be.
Day 5: Spent your entire day debugging 10 lines of code.
Day 6: One member of the team becomes unreachable.
Day 7: Start copy pasting from the mmoe server, and trying to rewrite the code into C++.
Day 8: Have 200 syntax errors. Give up.
Day 9: You need a break.
Day 10: You need a break.
Day 11: You need a break. So does everyone else.
Day 12 onward: Project is stuck in perpetual limbo. Eventually you all give up.

Good luck!

This is exactly how 90% of my projects end up
Quote Originally Posted by ILikeToDLThings View Post
This is exactly how 90% of my projects end up
Hopefully Our project doesn't fail. But I guess people on MPGH aren't as supportive as I thought. But I'm still gonna try and help soulforge . Also Thanks for Replying!
Quote Originally Posted by pizazzle View Post
Hopefully Our project doesn't fail. But I guess people on MPGH aren't as supportive as I thought. But I'm still gonna try and help soulforge . Also Thanks for Replying!
I would be supportive, but due to that fact I know none of you or your coding abilities/determination, I always assume the worst. But, good luck and maybe you will get it done.
Haha, I'm only kidding of course. It's always cool to see people undertake difficult projects and come out ahead. I was just trying to comically bring up the point that it really is a lot of work, and will take you much longer than you might initially think.
Quote Originally Posted by marinepower View Post
Haha, I'm only kidding of course. It's always cool to see people undertake difficult projects and come out ahead. I was just trying to comically bring up the point that it really is a lot of work, and will take you much longer than you might initially think.
Of Course ! At first when Sjustin brung up the idea and stuck with it. I didn't want to get near writing new source code. But, Over time I changed my mind because maybe , JUST MAYBE, we can make it. Thanks Again for everybody replying to the post
Good luck
Advantages of porting over to c++? I don't know c# at all so I don't know its drawbacks and why c++ would be better suited language.
Quote Originally Posted by nilly View Post
Advantages of porting over to c++? I don't know c# at all so I don't know its drawbacks and why c++ would be better suited language.
Actually, I'm kinda curious about this also. If its for fun, they should choose a shitty language to port to, like White Space
Quote Originally Posted by nilly View Post
Advantages of porting over to c++? I don't know c# at all so I don't know its drawbacks and why c++ would be better suited language.
Sjustin kind of just said that he was more familiar with c++ so he could help with the devs a little bit more plus re-writing from scratch would give us more customization for what is gonna fit our standards. That is pretty much it besides the facts that c++ can be better than c# for some other reasons found here: . Also thanks Nilly for replying :3
Quote Originally Posted by nilly View Post
Advantages of porting over to c++? I don't know c# at all so I don't know its drawbacks and why c++ would be better suited language.
The advantage with C++ is merely the ability to use low-level APIs and hardware stuff. We all know (or should at least) that C# gets compiled in CLI and then runs on a virtual machine (.NET), which does the memory and performance management work. In C++ instead, the code is compiled to an actual executable, and you have to tweak the performance and the memory leaks all by yourself. The difference is really little.
Also, actually, C453 didn't leave: he just hasn't ever joined. All he did was read a message on Skype from SoulForge asking him to rewrite the server.
Anyways, this is pretty ironic but whatever: good luck!
Quote Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
The advantage with C++ is merely the ability to use low-level APIs and hardware stuff. We all know (or should at least) that C# gets compiled in CLI and then runs on a virtual machine (.NET), which does the memory and performance management work. In C++ instead, the code is compiled to an actual executable, and you have to tweak the performance and the memory leaks all by yourself. The difference is really little.
Also, actually, C453 didn't leave: he just hasn't ever joined. All he did was read a message on Skype from SoulForge asking him to rewrite the server.
Anyways, this is pretty ironic but whatever: good luck!
Oh no i was just talking about C4 leaving Mpgh :P Sorry for the mess up
As this is my project, I feel that it's my place to clarify any discrepancies.

The server was in open BETA, and we were using somebody else's source, because I felt that it would be more rewarding to work with something that everybody has already been working with in the community and I would also be able to find developers to progress quickly through new content releases.

I quickly found that this wasn't the case, and as we entered open beta and we were tasked with setting up a whole dungeon, I came to another realization. I was not at all familiar with this alien source, and I would be taking just about as much time figuring out exactly what everything does as I would be writing a new source in a language that I am also more familiar with. On top of all of that, I simply didn't like the idea of using someone else's work. I didn't put any time into making it, and that keeps me personally detached from the server, while, if I had made it myself and put all of my time into it, I would be much more focused and interested.

So, in short, we never did decide, the open beta was more of a test for the source than the project itself.

The project is by no definition "in limbo" and we will begin active recruitment and development in 3 days.

I believe this change will help the project move in a good direction, or I wouldn't be making it.

Thank you to everybody that supported the server, and thank you to everybody supporting the project still.

We will not disappoint you with the future releases.

--Note: For whoever (EDIT: @Trapped) said that C# and C++ had little difference due to the work put into them for different reasons, I'd like to also clarify this. We are not making the change from C# to C++ because it is more effective or runs a certain way. We are making the change because we will have more control over the server as well as how it is managed. Right now, it would be quite tedious to go into a source written, with a language which I haven't personally studied very much, by somebody else and change the core workings within the server like data retrieval methods.

This change was more in thought of the community. A good amount of C++ developers don't like working with C#, so I believe this will bring those developers forward so that we can have more contribution within the community as well as some differentiation between server types so that preference may be considered in the choosing between them.

As it stands, we are choosing between a bunch of different C# sources for our servers, which sometimes isn't a language we're all very familiar with.

So again, this change is more in thought of the community than myself, while it is my personal preference as well.

Thank you for your input, however.

--On another side note, I never did ask C453 to rewrite the whole source, or rewrite anything for that matter, and he has been rude enough to not respond to any of my messages after requesting an admin/dev position on my server. We aren't rewriting a source, we are writing a NEW source. There's a bit of a difference with how it's done.

Just straightening that out, as it would put my project in shame if I were begging C453 to do everything for me, which I haven't. He requested a developer and admin position, and he never responded to any of my requests for him to at least reply "no" so that I can move on and not worry about him. By now, I've come to the conclusion that he has given me a for-sure no, but it was quite rude to request something and then knowingly ignore me when I've asked whether he was still interested or not.

I'm offended that he would talk so lowly of my project that it would seem we were asking him to rewrite our whole source, or that you would exaggerate it in that way, whichever is more accurately concise, as I suspect both by your wording.

He requested the position, and I repeatedly inquired about his response to us accepting him in hopes of some form of an answer.




Hopefully this did what I intended it to, and reduced the confusion around what is actually happening at the moment.
Posts 1–15 of 36 · Page 1 of 3

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us