SmileCustom Desktop Issues - Help Please

Posts 1–11 of 11 · Page 1 of 1
Custom Desktop Issues - Help Please
Good morning or afternoon,

My Desktop turns off when I try to play certain games after a few minutes of it in loading screen or menu select.
I tried:
- Changing HD to SSD, worked for awhile
- Changing drivers, League of Legends no longer crashes
- Reducing number of cores used, Games Lag, but doesn't crash
- Disable and reenable cores, Games crash less

If you need anything else to be able to help me out, please let me know. Thank you! ^_^

~Punkie
Have you checked GPU and CPU temperatures? Are they higher than normal?
Have to go with what Trenchgun says.

Check your CPU temps and how much your CPU is being used when its idling and when you have a game loaded up.
Quote Originally Posted by Asuna View Post
Have to go with what Trenchgun says.

Check your CPU temps and how much your CPU is being used when its idling and when you have a game loaded up.
Yea, it's possible. But I'm surprised that if it is that, that he hasn't received any warnings. It could also be an issue with one of his pieces of hardware. I remember I had an issue with my computer sometimes failing to boot, and it would sometimes crash on some games, especially hitman, but not some games like assassin's Creed. Turns out I had a faulty motherboard. But it could be an issue with cooling or psu or other. But best to check temperatures first.
Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Yea, it's possible. But I'm surprised that if it is that, that he hasn't received any warnings. It could also be an issue with one of his pieces of hardware. I remember I had an issue with my computer sometimes failing to boot, and it would sometimes crash on some games, especially hitman, but not some games like assassin's Creed. Turns out I had a faulty motherboard. But it could be an issue with cooling or psu or other. But best to check temperatures first.
It could be PSU. My friend would randomly have his PC completely shut off and it did it alot to the point the PSU went out lol. But yeah. Temps could be turning his PC off for protection.
Quote Originally Posted by Drama View Post
It could be PSU. My friend would randomly have his PC completely shut off and it did it alot to the point the PSU went out lol. But yeah. Temps could be turning his PC off for protection.
The more I think about it being the processor the less I think it is. It most definitely can't be the processor heating up, as he should definitely be getting warnings for it, unless his mobo is really old and crap. His gpu should either throttle or it's really fucked up, in which case if he has an igpu he should try without it, although that still may not rule it out.
Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
The more I think about it being the processor the less I think it is. It most definitely can't be the processor heating up, as he should definitely be getting warnings for it, unless his mobo is really old and crap. His gpu should either throttle or it's really fucked up, in which case if he has an igpu he should try without it, although that still may not rule it out.
CPU's getting to hot could result in freezing, idk about complete shut downs. i've installed a CPU water cooler incorrectly (dont ask how lolol) and my cpu temp was off the charts. Went extremely down when i pressed the block up against the CPU. Anyways, it froze once when it hit 80. IDK. Could shutdown also.

@Punkie, give us some details. Specs and how old they are. Also what hardwares you recently installed.

Also what's your temps looking like?
Quote Originally Posted by Drama View Post
CPU's getting to hot could result in freezing, idk about complete shut downs. i've installed a CPU water cooler incorrectly (dont ask how lolol) and my cpu temp was off the charts. Went extremely down when i pressed the block up against the CPU. Anyways, it froze once when it hit 80. IDK. Could shutdown also.

@Punkie, give us some details. Specs and how old they are. Also what hardwares you recently installed.

Also what's your temps looking like?
I've forgotten to plug in my cooler, it throttled then completely shut down, rebooting with a max temp warning. He also never says he is getting throttled performance, so it would have to mean that his temperature sensors aren't working properly.
you can check temp by BIOS or software, but I think it's your motherboard or PSU! Can't hold any temps.
Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
Good morning or afternoon,

My Desktop turns off when I try to play certain games after a few minutes of it in loading screen or menu select.
I tried:
- Changing HD to SSD, worked for awhile
- Changing drivers, League of Legends no longer crashes
- Reducing number of cores used, Games Lag, but doesn't crash
- Disable and reenable cores, Games crash less

If you need anything else to be able to help me out, please let me know. Thank you! ^_^

~Punkie
I used to have a similar problem where every time I booted my computer up it would throw an error saying 'overclocking failed', even though the only non-standard thing running was XMP on the RAM. Very seldom, but still a nuisance, my computer would completely crash on me without warning. The only fix I've found for it was to increase the voltage to the CPU. For me, I set my i7-5820K to 1.3V, but its different for every setup. Try gradual increases (<0.05V) in CPU voltage in your BIOS and see if that solves it for you.
Have you been overclocking?
Posts 1–11 of 11 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us