
Originally Posted by
Auxilium
Listen. I'm not trying to make crysis, or industry standard games. Get off me
He's right though. Even for more basic games you'd need more then just one api... I believe its two at the very least (even for extremely basic graphical games...) winAPI and then the other directx... I have done my research because this is where I plan on living my life. As a lawyer/game designer.

interesting combonation, wouldn't you say?
If you want 3d games that are ok quality but can run on mac

dows use opengl...
If you want amazing graphics and think "**** the mac users" go for directx.
Directx has 2d, and 3d apis (I believe...) so it's much easier to create 2 dimensional games in directx then it is opengl.
Maplestory was made in directx. Combat arms was made in directx. Those are two examples of games made in directx by the same coding team. 2d and 3d.
Personally, I'd go for directx. Even if you care about the macusers... gamers ALWAYS have windows. And if a gamer has a mac he isnt a gamer, he's a geek with a mac.
Of course, there are many many other APIs you could use. But directx and opengl are the very best of the best. (directx being the best of the best of the best

)
going for directx 3D visit these sites and see which you prefer... first is free second is not.
ToyMaker
THANK VOID FOR THIS LINK IF YOU USE IT
for directx 2D visit these sites and see which you prefer(or both? I haven't read through these... just found em and they look alright)
EuclideanSpace
Can't forget MSDN, right? they've helped us all... Don't lie...
for opengl programming
this is the site to go
Now, those are just free/cheap sites. If you really wanna get into game programming for a possible career, I would recommend purchasing many books or going to a GOOD school. Do a background check on any school's you go to before going to them...