[HELP] Disassembling

Posts 1–14 of 14 · Page 1 of 1
[HELP] Disassembling
Hey guys,

I have been trying to disassemble a dll that has modules that has illegal symbols (< > & * ect) in it and it can't disassemble.


Is there a disassembler that will let me edit the source and then recompile the dll without going through windows at all??? Or if there isnt, how could I go about decompiling?

BTW, Windows = FAIL!


Thanks
What do you mean illegal symbols? O.O

As far as I know, "illegal symbols" do not exist.
Quote Originally Posted by freedompeace View Post
What do you mean illegal symbols? O.O

As far as I know, "illegal symbols" do not exist.
If you have windows, Create a folder with a < in it...
It wont let you do it... I didn't know what it was called so I just used illegal symbols.
Quote Originally Posted by JamesA1994 View Post
If you have windows, Create a folder with a < in it...
It wont let you do it... I didn't know what it was called so I just used illegal symbols.
Oh. It's not illegal modules, it's just been obfuscated (also known as "packed" by some).

That give you quite some trouble, but the least you can do is try to dump the DLL while it's running (load it into one some process that does nothing, so make your own empty C++ app or something).
Quote Originally Posted by JamesA1994 View Post
Hey guys,

I have been trying to disassemble a dll that has modules that has illegal symbols (< > & * ect) in it and it can't disassemble.


Is there a disassembler that will let me edit the source and then recompile the dll without going through windows at all??? Or if there isnt, how could I go about decompiling?

BTW, Windows = FAIL!


Thanks

I can't understand ur nub speak. Why not stop trying to talk like a coder, and explain what ur doing.
Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
I can't understand ur nub speak. Why not stop trying to talk like a coder, and explain what ur doing.
I am trying to get the source code for a dll
Windows won't let it decompile because it needs to create file and folders that has these symbols in them (< > & * ect).

How do I bypass this without renaming anything...

Even easier
Quote Originally Posted by JamesA1994 View Post
I am trying to decompile a dll.

When it decompiles it has to create files and folders that has these symbols in them (< > & * ect).

Shitty windows won't let them be created (File name protection or w/e).

How do I bypass this without renaming anything...

And yeah, sorry if you can't understand my nub speak.
Windows is not shitty. It is one of the most configurable, modifiable, most supported operating systems in the world. And why do you need to create files and folders with illegal path characters? ._.
Quote Originally Posted by freedompeace View Post
Windows is not shitty. It is one of the most configurable, modifiable, most supported operating systems in the world. And why do you need to create files and folders with illegal path characters? ._.
I dont need to nor want to.
When it decompiles it needs to

Lol, I could not live with a mac or linux...
As much as I hate windows, I love it 10 times as much...
Just hatin cause I hate some of the windows features.
Quote Originally Posted by JamesA1994 View Post
I dont need to nor want to.
When it decompiles it needs to

Lol, I could not live with a mac or linux...
As much as I hate windows, I love it 10 times as much...
Just hatin cause I hate some of the windows features.
Why do you need to when you're decompiling? I've never needed to. /:
Quote Originally Posted by freedompeace View Post
Why do you need to when you're decompiling? I've never needed to. /:
Because most of the modules have those symbols in them.
If I try to decompile, it doesn't decompile the ones with those symbols making the source pretty close to useless =\
If I'm not wrong, you want to decompile a DLL which is already compiled and obviously you don't have the source right?

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's no way you can have the full source of a compiled library. One thing you could do is reverse engineering on the DLL and see if you find something that can help you.

If you're interested on reverse engineering you could start by downloading OllyDbg and read some info, RE it's not an easy job.

And if you really want to disassemble a DLL you'll need a lot of knowledge in ASM.
Quote Originally Posted by scuarplex View Post
If I'm not wrong, you want to decompile a DLL which is already compiled and obviously you don't have the source right?

Correct me if I'm wrong but there's no way you can have the full source of a compiled library. One thing you could do is reverse engineering on the DLL and see if you find something that can help you.

If you're interested on reverse engineering you could start by downloading OllyDbg and read some info, RE it's not an easy job.

And if you really want to disassemble a DLL you'll need a lot of knowledge in ASM.
8th Post and it is actually kinda Complete/Good.
Nice Job New One.

@OP.
There is no way you will just have a program that will display the source code of a library for you to edit it and recompile it by Magic.

Learn Reverse Engineering, And even there, You will have to proceed one Function at a time, And you loose Variable's names, And this is only Pseudocode.

Fail Thread is Fail.
Lol @ OP's fail post.

Windows != Fail.
Eh just to point it out (if this is the DLL I'm thinking of ), this is a .NET assembly, so getting the source back is technically possible.
Posts 1–14 of 14 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us