[Help] Computer Issues

Posts 1–15 of 27 · Page 1 of 2
[Help] Computer Issues
Hi, I'll skip the introduction and save you time. Okay so about 2-3 months ago, my PC fucked up. It was running slow so i restarted it. When it turned off, and i turned it back on, I heard the fan turn on and it was abnormally loud. So my desktop turns on, but the monitor stays black. The light on the monitor is orange, as if it were in sleep mode.

So: The desktop turns on, fan is louder than normal, and the monitor stays black and monitor light is orange. Please if someone could help me find out whats wrong with it or help me fix it. Also, please don't leave stupid pointless comments like "dude fail get a new pc" as they are extremely unhelpful. Please post helpful information. Thank you in advance.
make sure every thing is seeded properly,reformat if that doesnt work,if u cant reformat id say fuck this comp and shoot the shit out of it!
Does your PC in any way ever turn on the screen? Usually when a computer starts it goes through a POST. Now if your computer would be working normally you would get a list of specs and/or some checks and such on your monitor (although some people have those tests hidden and have a boot picture instead).

Now I'm presuming your monitor stays off which means that either the monitor is dead (unlikely, since you said it was the PC that started acting abnormally) or that something went bye bye inside the PC. So either it was something that made your PC unable to reach POST or something that made it unable to show the POST on your screen. If your PC beeped at startup (question: did it beep before it crashed?) that might be a signal that it is reaching POST.

Here on Wikipedia you can read about error reporting during POST. If you can open your PC check if you have any "bios status" leds / displays you might be able to get the error easily, otherwise work with the beeps (if you have any) or get one of those status cards (samples on the wiki page).

Quote Originally Posted by elihwy79 View Post
make sure every thing is seeded properly,reformat if that doesnt work,if u cant reformat id say fuck this comp and shoot the shit out of it!
Don't post stupid shit
Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
Does your PC in any way ever turn on the screen? Usually when a computer starts it goes through a POST. Now if your computer would be working normally you would get a list of specs and/or some checks and such on your monitor (although some people have those tests hidden and have a boot picture instead).

Now I'm presuming your monitor stays off which means that either the monitor is dead (unlikely, since you said it was the PC that started acting abnormally) or that something went bye bye inside the PC. So either it was something that made your PC unable to reach POST or something that made it unable to show the POST on your screen. If your PC beeped at startup (question: did it beep before it crashed?) that might be a signal that it is reaching POST.

Here on Wikipedia you can read about error reporting during POST. If you can open your PC check if you have any "bios status" leds / displays you might be able to get the error easily, otherwise work with the beeps (if you have any) or get one of those status cards (samples on the wiki page).



Don't post stupid shit

Um, well first of all the monitor doesn't turn on in any way. The monitor just stays black and goes into standby when i turn on the Desktop. But when i unplug the monitor from the desktop it says the cable is unplugged, so I'm sure its not the monitor. Also i tried it with another monitor and same thing happened. Next.. Uh I haven't heard any beeps like at all. Sorry if I'm not providing enough info lol, I'm not very good with PC's, but I'm not completely retarded when it comes to them.

PS. sorry i took long haha, forgot about this post.
Quote Originally Posted by ballinarab View Post
Um, well first of all the monitor doesn't turn on in any way. The monitor just stays black and goes into standby when i turn on the Desktop. But when i unplug the monitor from the desktop it says the cable is unplugged, so I'm sure its not the monitor. Also i tried it with another monitor and same thing happened. Next.. Uh I haven't heard any beeps like at all. Sorry if I'm not providing enough info lol, I'm not very good with PC's, but I'm not completely retarded when it comes to them.

PS. sorry i took long haha, forgot about this post.
No beeps is usually a bad sign (something might be wrong with the mobo / it's not reaching post). If you can see the inside of your PC: does everything turn on once you power on the PC?
Well yeah, like both fans move, but the more external one is loud and spins hella fast and loud. And the cd tray thing still opens and the light in that works. I cant seem to find out whats wrong other than that fan. And i really don't want to take it to a store, eeing as how they charge even if i only want them to look at it.
So when you turn it on you don't see the bios? like the monitor doesnt do anything, or just when it gets into windows
Graphics card died? Samething happened to me. Try taking that out. If it still doesn't work, something else is dead inside.

Repair shop time
Quote Originally Posted by ez2animate View Post
Graphics card died? Samething happened to me. Try taking that out. If it still doesn't work, something else is dead inside.

Repair shop time
Meh I wouldn't give up right after the gfx card /

Try taking out the gfx card and even if you don't have any integrated backup, just check if the mobo reaches bios (the beeps). Otherwise try running with just 1 stick of ram (go through them all). And if possible check if the mobo is working at all (there must be some sort of status leds or something /).
Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
Meh I wouldn't give up right after the gfx card /

Try taking out the gfx card and even if you don't have any integrated backup, just check if the mobo reaches bios (the beeps). Otherwise try running with just 1 stick of ram (go through them all). And if possible check if the mobo is working at all (there must be some sort of status leds or something /).
I'm not too keen on computer parts. I can do just about everything on a computer, hell I'm even trying to learn c++, I just have no knowledge of parts. XD, I was only talking from experience.

Well OP, listen to this guy, then take it to a computer shop. Or call my uncle XD, you in CA?
Nope im in Missouri haha, and thanks everyone for the help, but again, im not too smart with the interior of computers, so what is the graphics card and where, and whats the mobo? lol sorry :P
Quote Originally Posted by ballinarab View Post
Nope im in Missouri haha, and thanks everyone for the help, but again, im not too smart with the interior of computers, so what is the graphics card and where, and whats the mobo? lol sorry :P
newer graphics cards go into a pci express slot and mobo is motherboard

to get the graphics card on the back of your computer look for the blue and/or white port where your monitor plugs in. open the case and remove the piece of hardware with the monitor ports
Thanks, now time to see what I can do lol.


This help? I just googled it, first picture that came up XD
Quote Originally Posted by ez2animate View Post
http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/dyna...phics-card.gif

This help? I just googled it, first picture that came up XD
I don't think you really need to rotate your gfx card if it's a normal PC

Just unscrew (or unlock) the screws / locking mechanism on the case and pull the card out. Some slots use a simple lock mechanism (like a little handle on the end of the slot) you have to press to pull the card out.
Posts 1–15 of 27 · Page 1 of 2

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Need help?