Registered since 10-9-2011

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    What record did you use so clean! xD

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    On a PC, no matter how much RAM you have, don't get into the idea that you can use it all, because a lot of it is being taken by the operating system and background processes, while on a console, there are not as many background processes and programs.

Also, the processor also plays a big role, not just the amount of RAM you have installed. Once again, on a console, the processor is mostly executing instructions from just the game, while on a PC, it has to execute windows, background processes and services, and other instructions.

This applies to older consoles, but the need for RAM was not very high. Because on conventional PCs, instructions for the processor are stored in RAM, while on a console which uses a ROM cartridge, you can store your 48mbit of instructions and data separately, and the console will read the instructions from the ROM, and RAM can just be used as a place to store temporary things.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Boss View Post
    I like it.. what did you record it with? It's so clear
    A Blue Snowball

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Void View Post
    Hurr Durr.
    Ofcourse. And I did say that I was just making an example, I could have been talking about anything. But RAM is easier to explain since its just numbers instead of dual/quad core @ 2.3 Mhz etc.
    RAM doesn't really matter in this case, but it was just an example (no way you gonna use 16 gigs of ram just for a game atm!)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doh
    Funny nice to watch

Thanks
    On a PC, no matter how much RAM you have, don't get into the idea that you can use it all, because a lot of it is being taken by the operating system and background processes, while on a console, there are not as many background processes and programs.

Also, the processor also plays a big role, not just the amount of RAM you have installed. Once again, on a console, the processor is mostly executing instructions from just the game, while on a PC, it has to execute windows, background processes and services, and other instructions.

This applies to older consoles, but the need for RAM was not very high. Because on conventional PCs, instructions for the processor are stored in RAM, while on a console which uses a ROM cartridge, you can store your 48mbit of instructions and data separately, and the console will read the instructions from the ROM, and RAM can just be used as a place to store temporary things.
    No matter what RAM is always temporary. So that part of your little statement is already pointless.

Secondly, newer OS's such as Windows 7 and the newest OSX do not use that much memory. In fact, it uses very little to support the Operating Systems themselves, however it "seems" as if they are using more as they collectively use unused memory space to pre-cache active events, which speeds up performance far surpassed the console level.

Next, we go onto your talk about a Console's Operating System. This varies from OS to OS per console. XBox only allows the usage of a single Operating System in the console itself, which is a modified version of Windows 2000. That being said, the XBox HAS to run the Operating System in the background, especially due to the menu that is easily accessible for the XBox navigation within a game.

A PS3 runs it's own modified Custom OS with room for another OS to be installed on the Kernel (Linux) as well, and also must run in the background for the XMenu system to be able to come up on the screen at will.

Every point you have made is wrong.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Also, background process != Operating System functionality as you basically said.

Please, learn how a computer works before posting such nonsense.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post

No matter what RAM is always temporary. So that part of your little statement is already pointless.

Secondly, newer OS's such as Windows 7 and the newest OSX do not use that much memory. In fact, it uses very little to support the Operating Systems themselves, however it "seems" as if they are using more as they collectively use unused memory space to pre-cache active events, which speeds up performance far surpassed the console level.

Next, we go onto your talk about a Console's Operating System. This varies from OS to OS per console. XBox only allows the usage of a single Operating System in the console itself, which is a modified version of Windows 2000. That being said, the XBox HAS to run the Operating System in the background, especially due to the menu that is easily accessible for the XBox navigation within a game.

A PS3 runs it's own modified Custom OS with room for another OS to be installed on the Kernel (Linux) as well, and also must run in the background for the XMenu system to be able to come up on the screen at will.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Also, background process != Operating System functionality as you basically said.

Heh, you got him good.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ZeroTroubles For This Useful Post:

Lehsyrus (02-22-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTroubles View Post

Heh, you got him good.
    No one dishonors the all-mighty PC.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lehsyrus For This Useful Post:

666HiddenMaster666 (02-23-2013),Mc565 (02-22-2013),Paralyze (02-23-2013),ZeroTroubles (02-22-2013)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

No one dishonors the all-mighty PC.
    Now that I relisten i mightve not said that RAM doesnt matter that much.. Ill put an annotation or smtng

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTroubles View Post

Now that I relisten i mightve not said that RAM doesnt matter that much.. Ill put an annotation or smtng
    RAM is more of a variable, it matters to a point but over that point is not needed for gaming (yet).

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

I never even specified the console or architecture. Background process does not have to mean an operating system's background processes, for example on the SH-4, there is the idea of the memory management unit, which can be implemented totally in software (game) using address translation. This will be running in the background but does not have to mean there is an OS for there to be a background process, as it could be a game which implements the address translation through software and will be running in the background from the game. Memory management running the background of a game seems like a background process to me.

Let's take the Sega Dreamcast for example. It was running a Hitachi SH-4 processor, which like I said before, the software running on the console (a game) could implement the memory management itself.

Thanks

I never even specified the console or architecture. Background process does not have to mean an operating system's background processes, for example on the SH-4, there is the idea of the memory management unit, which can be implemented totally in software (game) using address translation. This will be running in the background but does not have to mean there is an OS for there to be a background process, as it could be a game which implements the address translation through software and will be running in the background from the game. Memory management running the background of a game seems like a background process to me.

Let's take the Sega Dreamcast for example. It was running a Hitachi SH-4 processor, which like I said before, the software running on the console (a game) could implement the memory management itself.
    That is not a process, it is an integrated piece of code involved with the process currently running. A process is an independent written program designed to run on an Operating System. Specification for the system does not matter, we are far surpassed in technology than compared to the Dreamcast. In this day and age, a console is a computer designed for a single task, yet still runs in the same manner as a standard computer. Hence why the Department of Defense used over 1,000 PS3's to build a super computer.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    PC has and always will be the main platform used for gaming. You can do everything on there, and do what you like with it. Consoles are for people who think they are "gamers" but truly are just kids playing games. Consoles are held back pieces of shit, they are stupid and useless when you have a pc.
    Consoles do hold games back, especially the good ones, the good games are usually part of launches of consoles, or whenever they are approved by the console creator, console is just a huge waste of time.
    PC ALL THE WAY!

PS sorry for my english.
    Last edited by Tristanz; 02-22-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristanz View Post
    PC has and always will be the main platform used for gaming
    PC ALL THE WAY!

PS sorry for my english.
    Not necessarily has been always. Can you imagine getting Sega Saturn graphics (correctly done, not poor 3rd parties who don't know how to use the hardware) on a computer of 1994?

I'd like to see a computer from 1994 (JP saturn release year) being able to do something like this

Seems a little advanced for 1994 hardware, doesn't it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast