What C++ book did you use to learn

Posts 1–11 of 11 · Page 1 of 1
What C++ book did you use to learn
What the title says.
h t t p : / / www . amazon . com / Thinking-Introduction-Standard-Volume-Edition / dp / 0139798099

Quote from url above
Topics covered: Introduction to objects, inheritance, composition, polymorphism, exception handling, analysis and design fundamentals, advantages of C++, transitioning from C, compiling and building programs, writing C++ functions, flow control, C++ operators, data types, casting, debugging tips, pointers to functions, designing reusable C++ classes, conditional compilation and header files, access specifiers, constructors and destructors, function overloading and default arguments, using const and static effectively, inlining, namespaces, references, copy constructors, operator overloading, using new and delete for dynamic objects, virtual functions, abstract classes, introduction to templates, and iterators.
^^ Definitely enough to get someone started. Would probably take several months to actually understand all of those concepts and be able to apply them in a meaningful way.

h t t p : / / w w w . computersciencelab . com / Eckel . htm --to read more about it
never used a book to learn,start copy- paste codes and try to resolve some Error you know, and stuff, i just learned this way..
Quote Originally Posted by EL Surenzo dA KK Caponeiyl View Post
never used a book to learn,start copy- paste codes and try to resolve some Error you know, and stuff, i just learned this way..
That's the worst way someone can start coding.
Quote Originally Posted by EL Surenzo dA KK Caponeiyl View Post
never used a book to learn,start copy- paste codes and try to resolve some Error you know, and stuff, i just learned this way..
I assume you know very little then. You will never, ever, ever learn anything in C++ without at least watching videos or reading a book. You might pick up some things, but later on you will be boned.

In regards to how to learn, watch AntiRTFM's Video Series on YouTube, then pick up C++ Primer and read it. All in all that's about 20-30 hours of videos and reading. After that not sure, because I'm not 100% complete with my steps, but I can ensure you this is by far the best way.
Quote Originally Posted by EL Surenzo dA KK Caponeiyl View Post
never used a book to learn,start copy- paste codes and try to resolve some Error you know, and stuff, i just learned this way..
Oh dear- this is exactly the mindset I outlined here, where I also suggest you use the MIT OpenCourseWare suite of learning resources ( linked in the post). Wonderfully instructional, online, well-planned, and, as a wonderful bonus, totally legally free. Using a book is a respectable option as well, but not necessarily for everyone's tastes.

Also, remember me, OP? ;D Programming languages are (in most cases) pretty interchangeable, by the way.
Learning how to program is to learn how to think methodologically. You will never get anywhere if you are at the stage where you have to ask the simple question of where to start. Be resourceful, we are no longer in the age where such information is restricted to academia and experts.
Quote Originally Posted by Fovea View Post
Learning how to program is to learn how to think methodologically. You will never get anywhere if you are at the stage where you have to ask the simple question of where to start. Be resourceful, we are no longer in the age where such information is restricted to academia and experts.
Oh I think you misunderstand. I don`t need a place to start. I have no problem coding in c++, but I was just curious as to what books other people used to learn from.
Beginning C++ Through Game Programming: Michael Dawson ...
I never used any book, I looked up a few tutorials, then dived into some trivial coding then dived into a big project. Best way to learn is DO SHIT WITH IT!!!!
I didn't read any books,I just watched some tutorials about c++ and learned from other peoples code.
Posts 1–11 of 11 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us