Thread: New computer

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

New computer

Alright so getting a new computer soon. Limit 2 grand. Yes I know buying parts individually will be cheaper, this is just a rough sketch of the parts.
    https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1E49A8 That is the quick build I threw together (just to show parts I'm looking at).
    If you are too lazy to look through that, here are some of the specs of it:

CPU:Intel Core i7-2700K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155

HDD:2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

MEMORY:16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory

MOTHERBOARD:[CrossFireX] Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, Ultra Durable4 Classic, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 3x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI

POWERSUPPLY:1,000 Watts

VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card

VIDEO2:NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card

I know it's a pretty shitty build, but I'm more just showing the level of performance I want on the thing rather than an actual build. So what would you guys add/get rid of? Just looking for some input.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    You should get the "IVY Bridge" CPU im pretty sure it launched yesterday. You get a 10%-30% CPU performance increase and its about the same price as the i7 2600k, its more power efficient, and generates less heat. Get the Core i7 3770K instead of the i7 2600k your getting an Ivy Bridge Mobo anyway so...
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k
    MEMORY: Gskill 8gb 1600mhz (4gb x 2)
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
    HDD: OCZ Agility 3 (60gb) and WD Caviar Blue (1tb)
    GPU: HIS AMD HD 6950 (x2 crossfire)

My Anime List: https://myanimelist.net/profile/CowsGoMooo

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    First of all, build it yourself. Secondly, consider what Azn said. I'm not really up to date with price trends right now since I'm prepping for my finals and stuff, but with the new gen of CPUs out and X79 proving quite lucrative in the higher-end department, you might want to consider a mid-range X79 board coupled with the newly released mainstream 3770K.

Furthermore ditch the dual HDDs in favour of an SSD + HDD combo (trust me, you don't really need more than 500GB / 1TB of storage and that SSD really makes a difference when it comes to performance - also make sure you stick your OS on it and not the HDD). RAM's okay, but I would personally rather go for 2x4GB or 4x4GB of budget RAM if it leaves more money for a better gfx card. And while we're at gfx cards ... drop the 580, it's worthless. Dunno why you even want a second 520, which is even more worthless, best bang for the buck in the über-high-end would come with the 680, or, if you want to save a bit, fall back down to the likes of the 7870 or even the 560 Ti.

Oh and you'll never draw 1kW from such a build, ergo get a cheaper PSU.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    2700k with fucking Z77 chipset.
    What the fuck?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    The GT 520 will bottleneck you GPU. What the hell is that even supposed to be for? The performance you will be get will be like 2 x GT520s. The RAM; dual channel? Maybe you can opt for quad channel or I think it should do quad channel itself.. CPU; wait. Once they get IB then you can select one, the i7-3770K should be the equivalent for that. Should be same price, around 15% faster, and more power efficient. Drop down to a 850-watt-ish PSU with good power efficiency. This was just my two cents.

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

PS. The hell! There is a GTX 680 available for 22 bucks less, and much more power efficient and you go with the GTX 580? No hurt intended, but it is a good thing that you got your build checked here.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderanger View Post
    The GT 520 will bottleneck you GPU. What the hell is that even supposed to be for? The performance you will be get will be like 2 x GT520s. The RAM; dual channel? Maybe you can opt for quad channel or I think it should do quad channel itself.. CPU; wait. Once they get IB then you can select one, the i7-3770K should be the equivalent for that. Should be same price, around 15% faster, and more power efficient. Drop down to a 850-watt-ish PSU with good power efficiency. This was just my two cents.

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 AM ----------

PS. The hell! There is a GTX 680 available for 22 bucks less, and much more power efficient and you go with the GTX 580? No hurt intended, but it is a good thing that you got your build checked here.
    The "quad channel" kits will just be four sticks of the same ram as you'll see in "dual channel" kits. That being said, spot on, though the 520 doesn't have to bottleneck anything, he could potentially just use a setup where he falls back to the 520 from the 580 to save power. Though if that's his intention, the 7000 series from AMD has amazingly low power draw when idle, I think some of their cards promoted something as low as 2-5W

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by Alen View Post
    The "quad channel" kits will just be four sticks of the same ram as you'll see in "dual channel" kits. That being said, spot on, though the 520 doesn't have to bottleneck anything, he could potentially just use a setup where he falls back to the 520 from the 580 to save power. Though if that's his intention, the 7000 series from AMD has amazingly low power draw when idle, I think some of their cards promoted something as low as 2-5W
    2-5W? I guess that my PSU for those might just be lemons :P. Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought about quad channel, just some were 'locked' by the manufacturer to still operate in dual channel mode. Why even spend money on a 520 if you won't be gaming on it? Can't he use the same setup using the IGP?

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

PS. Again! I could imagine that setup being worthwhile if you had a primary Radeon card, the 520 would be a pretty good PhysX card

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Oops didn't mean for that second 520 in there And yea I was thinking about getting the IVY Bridge, wasn't sure though. And the power-supply was so high just because for some reason there was a lower choice. I know that is way too much. Other than that thanks for the help guys. Really the main thing I needed help with was the motherboard since I'm pretty much shit with picking those out.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    IDK about the mobo. Some Z68 mobos are software locked to not take IB.. Let the Ivy Bridge options come out, then we will see?