runes' pserver video tutorials || poll

PollWhat source would you guys prefer?
NR-Core 75% · 3
Skilly's25% · 1
4 votes · poll closed
Posts 1–10 of 10 · Page 1 of 1
runes' pserver video tutorials || poll
Hi!

I am planning on making tutorials for hosting a private server on YouTube, this would cover things like:

- Hosting via. Hamachi or your own IP
- Adding items
- Creating behaviors (would be covered over multiple parts)
- UI changes (ex: Menu Screen, In-game elements, deca-ui?)
- Anything else suggested (if it's not too complicated)

The poll below is for deciding which source to use, you can choose between NR-Core and Skilly's 7.0. For NR-Core, I will upload my own iteration of the source with behaviors for convenience.

P.S: I will make a forum post when a video is uploaded, but the channel is here if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHf...3p33mCfQLjFvdA
You show some real interest in bringing more people interested in making pservers, and working on them, I like that.
It's something I was going to do myself when I had a new source ready that made it easier to develop a pserver, but I didn't get enough motivation to start that project. Happy to know someone else is at least going to make the tutorials.
You should apply to be the RotMG manager ^__^ regardless the community will love what you're doing here
I will keep that in mind, but I don't know if I'd be super active. haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SSkilly View Post
I have bias towards the educational source I released, but I think the best path is to simply use NR Core, its behaviour system is used in many other sources so skills from those tutorials can transfer over many different sources, it's also the most up to date content wise.

Perhaps try and integrate the patches from the EDU source into NR Core and make tutorials on that?
That might be pretty complex but it would definitely help a lot of servers stay alive, as well as encourage people to make new servers.
I'd say the main downfall of private servers are hackers these days, back in the early days it wasn't a problem as many players weren't interested, or didn't even know how to hack.

Disregarding that, here's some other things you could tackle:
  • Adding custom monsters to the Realm
  • Adding custom setpieces to the Realm
  • Making custom behavior systems - so explaining how a Behavior file functions et cetera, you cannot do everything with the default NR Core behaviors
  • Making custom state transitions
  • Making custom dungeons/worlds - especially if you're going with NR Core, as the process is a bit more involved in this source
  • How to use the redis-cli command line - very important if someone is looking to run a server, there's a lot of useful redis commands (https://redis.io/topics/rediscli), alternatively you could show off some GUI manager and display how it works, and again, this is only if you're going the NR Core route, since it uses redis
  • Adding custom packets to both Client and Server
  • Adding custom App server requests
  • Making custom dungeon generators


Good luck!
I probably am going to go forth with NR-CORE. For the integrations, I'd probably go over something like that much later on, but I really like the idea and your reasoning behind it. For things that I'd cover in videos, I could probably make work out of most of the things you put down, I might needa look into dungeon generators, but it's not like they are a necessity lol.

PS: Your post was exactly what I was looking for, thanks for that!
good effort, please continue.
I have bias towards the educational source I released, but I think the best path is to simply use NR Core, its behaviour system is used in many other sources so skills from those tutorials can transfer over many different sources, it's also the most up to date content wise.

Perhaps try and integrate the patches from the EDU source into NR Core and make tutorials on that?
That might be pretty complex but it would definitely help a lot of servers stay alive, as well as encourage people to make new servers.
I'd say the main downfall of private servers are hackers these days, back in the early days it wasn't a problem as many players weren't interested, or didn't even know how to hack.

Disregarding that, here's some other things you could tackle:
  • Adding custom monsters to the Realm
  • Adding custom setpieces to the Realm
  • Making custom behavior systems - so explaining how a Behavior file functions et cetera, you cannot do everything with the default NR Core behaviors
  • Making custom state transitions
  • Making custom dungeons/worlds - especially if you're going with NR Core, as the process is a bit more involved in this source
  • How to use the redis-cli command line - very important if someone is looking to run a server, there's a lot of useful redis commands (https://redis.io/topics/rediscli), alternatively you could show off some GUI manager and display how it works, and again, this is only if you're going the NR Core route, since it uses redis
  • Adding custom packets to both Client and Server
  • Adding custom App server requests
  • Making custom dungeon generators


Good luck!
Quote Originally Posted by SSkilly View Post
Perhaps try and integrate the patches from the EDU source into NR Core and make tutorials on that?
That might be pretty complex but it would definitely help a lot of servers stay alive, as well as encourage people to make new servers.
Do you have a ghub repo with commits for the source? Having the patches and optimizations shown would help integrating easier as they're two really different sources.
Quote Originally Posted by ERHRETSHJsrthrth View Post
Do you have a ghub repo with commits for the source? Having the patches and optimizations shown would help integrating easier as they're two really different sources.
https://github.com/dhojka7/realm-server.

there is no specific commits for any anti-cheat patches but you can look through it to find anything you are interested in.
Quote Originally Posted by ERHRETSHJsrthrth View Post
Do you have a ghub repo with commits for the source? Having the patches and optimizations shown would help integrating easier as they're two really different sources.
I will do that once part 1 comes out, I already have a rough outline for 3 in the future, so it shouldn't be much longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coockson View Post
https://github.com/dhojka7/realm-server.

there is no specific commits for any anti-cheat patches but you can look through it to find anything you are interested in.
seems interesting, ill look into it at one point
I anxiously await the behaviors content. It's one of the few things holding me back from really pushing nrcore to it's limits.
Posts 1–10 of 10 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us