what do these signs mean?

Posts 1–15 of 22 · Page 1 of 2
what do these signs mean?
Just wondering.

What does =/= mean? (Not sure if that's the right way)
And what does =! mean? (Not sure if that's the way either)
I see people use them and I sometimes wonder what they mean.
They are the same, used to express does not equal to (bleh).

Mostly used in programming languages as far as I know.
The opposite of equal.


Example:
Marmite =/= edible
Quote Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
Just wondering.

What does =/= mean? (Not sure if that's the right way)
And what does =! mean? (Not sure if that's the way either)
I see people use them and I sometimes wonder what they mean.
The people who use them have coding experience.

Code:
=! // Equal Not/Not Equal
Thank you guys.
I think it's != , not =!.
Quote Originally Posted by JimTheGreat View Post
I think it's != , not =!.
Both are valid representatives for the statement.
Quote Originally Posted by Flengo View Post


Both are valid representatives for the statement.
No, I think for coding if you do =! it will give you an error in some languages.
Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer.JR View Post
No, I think for coding if you do =! it will give you an error in some languages.
Both are the same for everything that it applies to I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Flengo View Post


Both are the same for everything that it applies to I believe.

Most languages use both, but there are a few that only use != for some reason.
Besides, != makes more sense to me.
Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer.JR View Post
No, I think for coding if you do =! it will give you an error in some languages.
Both are valid.
It means not equal.
=! this is used for coding

=/= more commonly used for anything else. mainly math
Here's an example:

X+Y = X+Y
X*Y = XY
Therefore,

X+Y =/= XY
Posts 1–15 of 22 · Page 1 of 2
This thread is closed for replies.

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Need help?