QuestionStarting to learn Java

Posts 1–8 of 8 · Page 1 of 1
Starting to learn Java
Hey,
I am currently interested in learning Java and I am wondering how I should start to learn the language.
My problem is, I am more of a 'learn-while-doing' type person. I learnt LUA (for Garry's Mod) by looking at basic SWEP (Scripted Weapon) and SENT (Scripted Entity) code and seeing how it
worked and built my knowledge off of that and the Garry's Mod Wiki. So, as you can tell, I am fairly clueless as to how I should begin learning Java, I was thinking of making simple Minecraft mods and then expanding my knowledge from that. Is there any other way that you would recommend me checking out and trying?

Thanks in advanced,
Bayayyay
Java Tutorial | Java Introduction | W3schools
Topics include:
Java Introduction
Java History
Java Features
Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
First Java Program ( Hello World Program )
Keywords and Identifiers
Variables & Primitive Data Types
Java Comments
Java Data Types
Java Operators
Decision Making Statement
Looping and Iteration
Object Oriented Programming In Java
Object and Class
Classes and Methods
Constructors
Constants
Encapsulation
Access Modifiers
Inheritance in Java
Invoking Base Class Constructors ( Super Keyword )
Method Overriding in Java
Method Overloading in Java
Constructor Overloading in Java
Difference Between Method Overriding and Method Overloading
Polymorphism In Java
Dynamic method dispatch
Abstraction in java
Abstract Classes and Methods
Interfaces In Java
Defining interfaces In Java
Implementing interfaces In Java
Extending interfaces In Java
Packages in Java
Wrapper Class In Java
String & StringBuffer
Exception Handling In Java
Multithreading In Java
Collections In Java
Java Input/Output
You say you learn by reading others' code; maybe look at samples on different code website? You have to learn the core language features before doing anything specific like modding a game or your code will look.. silly. Can you create custom classes in lua? supports polymorphism and virtual functions? You learned about variable scope ofc? Data types? If / Switch, Loops. Containers / arrays? Memory management and dynamic memory? And so much more? I'd read each of the topics posted above and while reading, 'do' the code examples and make small changes to 'play' with it. Depends how comfortable you are with certain concepts like range-based loops, etc. Some of it is pretty universal from language to language(like IF statement), some things (like inheritance from multiple bases) aren't.
Thank you abuckau907,
this post is very helpful also for me.
A nice idea would be to create small projects for yourself and set due dates for them. If you are more of a learn-while-doing-it person, then that's perfectly fine. Especially for programming. If you want to try out this idea, make sure you give yourself projects that are actually challenging for you.

I recommend that you download the Eclipse IDE, if you haven't already.
I can send you Java for Dummies for free if you want
Quote Originally Posted by The Void Aroma View Post
I recommend that you download the Eclipse IDE, if you haven't already.
I recommend that you download IntelliJ, they have a free community edition that will suite all your needs.
You can use a keygen for the ultimate edition if you want so.

This is by far the best java IDE in my opinion.
Quote Originally Posted by The Void Aroma View Post
I recommend that you download the Eclipse IDE, if you haven't already.
I recommend that you download IntelliJ, they have a free community edition that will suite all your needs.
You can use a keygen for the ultimate edition if you want so.

This is by far the best java IDE in my opinion.
Try using Eclipse workspace, best one I've ever used for Java.
Posts 1–8 of 8 · Page 1 of 1

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

Talk with us