Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Why Everyone Should Believe in a Religion

Please note, I am a Christian; I'm not saying everyone should believe in Christianity in this thread (though I do believe that), I'm merely stating my opinion on why everyone ought to have a religion, regardless of whether it is Christianity or not.

1. It gives you hope beyond death, which gives you hope for the present.
    All of the most popular religions have some end goal, be it Heaven, rebirth, nirvana, or something else I'm unaware of. Even if these things aren't real, even if they're completely made up imaginations that a bunch of drunks came up with 2000 years ago, the idea that something beyond this exists can give your life meaning and hope. What's the point of living otherwise, since one day it isn't going to matter what you've done, you're going to simply not exist.

2. What if it is true?
    Going off the previous point here; what if one of the religions does have it right? Say you choose to be a Hindu and they've got it right, and you reincarnate the kid of some super rich, awesome parents? If you never believed in anything then you'll end up as an ant or something.

3. It gives you morals beyond your own.
    Everyone has certain moral standards (though for some, like serial killers, it's doubtful), but almost every single religion will tell you that you can be doing better. Which is true! If you're just going to disappear eventually, wouldn't you like to be remembered (however briefly) as a extraordinarily kind and caring person?

So what if you ended up believing a lie? So what if other people end up believing a lie? If it makes you or them happy, with the potential to make them super happy if it turns out they were right, surely it's innocent enough to let slide. Now, obviously this isn't true in every case; if the religion you chose believes in child sacrifices, for example, it may be a tad less innocent.
    Last edited by Kia8; 07-12-2014 at 09:14 PM.
    Successful trades: 24
    Number of times people have tried to scam me: 6

Number of times that it worked: 2 :|

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    1. No it doesn't.
    2. What if it isn't?
    3. No it doesn't.
    Last edited by nevs666; 07-13-2014 at 12:23 AM.
    "If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest."

-Benjamin Franklin
    ^One of our (our as in American no offence to non Americans) Founding Fathers and one of my personal heroes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nevs666 For This Useful Post:

Thefurball (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    1. What's the point of living? Kill yourself.
    -The afterlife does not give meaning to life.

2. Pascal's wager. Unfortunately there are thousands of religions in the world. Most of them have the clause "only if you practice", so your chances of doing the right one are just the same as if you did none of them.

3. What the hell are you talking about? Morality does not come from religion at all.
    -------------------------------------

So what: Hey, if religion didn't influence anything I'd be all for this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

Thefurball (07-28-2014)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    What the hell are you talking about? Morality does not come from religion at all.
    Actually it does

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by maria.garefis View Post

Actually it does
    Trolling? Prove it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

Actually it does
    You're joking right?
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kia8 View Post
    Please note, I am a Christian; I'm not saying everyone should believe in Christianity in this thread (though I do believe that), I'm merely stating my opinion on why everyone ought to have a religion, regardless of whether it is Christianity or not.

1. It gives you hope beyond death, which gives you hope for the present.
    All of the most popular religions have some end goal, be it Heaven, rebirth, nirvana, or something else I'm unaware of. Even if these things aren't real, even if they're completely made up imaginations that a bunch of drunks came up with 2000 years ago, the idea that something beyond this exists can give your life meaning and hope. What's the point of living otherwise, since one day it isn't going to matter what you've done, you're going to simply not exist.

2. What if it is true?
    Going off the previous point here; what if one of the religions does have it right? Say you choose to be a Hindu and they've got it right, and you reincarnate the kid of some super rich, awesome parents? If you never believed in anything then you'll end up as an ant or something.

3. It gives you morals beyond your own.
    Everyone has certain moral standards (though for some, like serial killers, it's doubtful), but almost every single religion will tell you that you can be doing better. Which is true! If you're just going to disappear eventually, wouldn't you like to be remembered (however briefly) as a extraordinarily kind and caring person?

So what if you ended up believing a lie? So what if other people end up believing a lie? If it makes you or them happy, with the potential to make them super happy if it turns out they were right, surely it's innocent enough to let slide. Now, obviously this isn't true in every case; if the religion you chose believes in child sacrifices, for example, it may be a tad less innocent.
    Believing in something is usually just a poor excuse to the fact that the human race is xenophobic and that they fear death and the unknown.
    It's a well known fact.

To part two, what if it is you say? Well, lets in this instance say that it's not true, having gone your whole life believing in something that then turned out to not be true, wasting time and false morals restraining yourself from doing what you probably wanted to do already but couldn't because your so called religion didn't allow for it to happen.

Speaking of morals, I have NEVER heard of people justifying stupid shit they do because they believe it was "written" in some silly book about what should be taken with a grain of salt and not as a rule book.
    Having someone elses moral isn't always good.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Trolling? Prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    You're joking right?
    Morality and religion is the relationship between morality and religious views. Many religions have value framework regarding personal behavior means to guide adherents in determining between right and wrong. Morale is an active process which is, "ultimately, attempt to run someone's behavior by reason, that is, doing what is best reasons to do, while giving equal consideration to the interests of all those affected by what one does, which is due by religion.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

Morality and religion is the relationship between morality and religious views. Many religions have value framework regarding personal behavior means to guide adherents in determining between right and wrong. Morale is an active process which is, "ultimately, attempt to run someone's behavior by reason, that is, doing what is best reasons to do, while giving equal consideration to the interests of all those affected by what one does, which is due by religion.
    Still trolling?

Again, you need to explain how morality comes from religion, much less which religion. Because there are completely non-religious people who have morality, most people don't get there general morality from their religion, and most religions don't teach correct morals in their entirety.

So again, either prove it or not. Don't just say that morality comes from religion without any base whatsoever.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Still trolling?

Again, you need to explain how morality comes from religion, much less which religion. Because there are completely non-religious people who have morality, most people don't get there general morality from their religion, and most religions don't teach correct morals in their entirety.

So again, either prove it or not. Don't just say that morality comes from religion without any base whatsoever.
    I didn't say that all people who believe in religion, have morality. This depend from religion and people character. And btw, this is only my strict opinion.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

I didn't say that all people who believe in religion, have morality. This depend from religion and people character. And btw, this is only my strict opinion.
    Correlation != Causation. You can't even provide a accurate correlation. In other words, your opinion is baseless.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

Correlation != Causation. You can't even provide a accurate correlation. In other words, your opinion is baseless.
    I can't convince you 100%, bcs english it is not my primar language, so anyway.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

I can't convince you 100%, bcs english it is not my primar language, so anyway.
    We didn't point out anything that has to do with a language barrier.......

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quran english al mu’minun 115 :Then did you think that We created you uselessly and that to Us you would not be returned?”
    and Quran english al mu’minun 105 :[It will be said]. “Were not My verses recited to you and you used to deny them?”
    Quran english al mu’minun 104 :The Fire will burn their faces, and they will therein grin, with their lips displaced.
    Quran english al mu’minun 91 :Allah has not taken any son, nor has there ever been with Him any deity. [If there had been], then each deity would have taken what it created, and some of them would have sought to overcome others. Exalted is Allah above what they describe [concerning Him].

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast