Looking to buy a tablet for college, watching movies and occasionally playing games.
Need something under 250$.
Nexus 7
Even though I hate apple and their products, I'd choose the ipad 2.. Even though IOS is quite terrible compared to Android, I feel that apple really got the whole tablet thing right. I have an ipad 3 and use it for YouTube and some games.
I'm on the nexus 7 2nd gen right now, you can't get anything faster at this price.
But then again, I got the more expensive one.
Originally Posted by Gray
you can't get anything faster at this price
Indeed, that quad core snap dragon processor is beasty. It's capable of running Linux. I got a bluetooth keyboard case/stand, on the go cable, a wireless mouse, and put Ubuntu on it. It's dual booted so I can switch back to Android any time I want the "tablet experience." But I mostly use it as a portable workstation. Very smooth.
I love that qc, no lag, ever.
It's now my favorite toy.
Originally Posted by Woodhouse
Indeed, that quad core snap dragon processor is beasty. It's capable of running Linux. I got a bluetooth keyboard case/stand, on the go cable, a wireless mouse, and put Ubuntu on it. It's dual booted so I can switch back to Android any time I want the "tablet experience." But I mostly use it as a portable workstation. Very smooth.
lol wat, how can u even see/write with that combo?
I have a Nexus 7 2nd gen. It's great. The only issue I've run into is trying to watch some anime shows. I have a Samsung Galaxy s3 and some of the programs Samsung installs (preloaded) on their devices are amazing. My phone can read pretty much any video file format, where my Nexus 7 is limited to mostly .mp4 and some .mkv, with no support for subtitles. Once in a while they show up, but 95% of the time they don't. The Nexus 7 also does not have a sd card, like the Samsung T3 supports. You can remedy this with a program called Nexus Media Importer ($4 google play) and an otg cable ($3 on amazon) and any usb drive. The otg cable will natively be recognized by the Samsung T3, and you don't need the Nexus Media Importer.
The Nexus 7 will have the best hardware specs, while the Samsung will probably be the most user-friendly. For instance, it allows for split screen, and the above mentioned.
Either way, I'd not recommend any Apple product since they have inferior hardware to most Asus/Samsung(/MSI) products, unless you're an Apple diehard and are addicted to iOS.
Originally Posted by Snape
lol wat, how can u even see/write with that combo?
What do you mean? The screen isn't that small (you should know). Neither is the keyboard. It works just fine. Of course, it's not something I use as a setup at home, but when I'm commuting, or don't feel like lugging around my computer to school, it gets the job done.
Originally Posted by maddoggy00
Nexus 7 is limited to mostly .mp4 and some .mkv, with no support for subtitles
Never worked for me with the otg cable. It (the free version) only works if I put it on the internal storage, which I'm not willing to do since I burn thru tens of GBs of storage on a weekly basis. And in that case, I'd recommend VLC over MX player.
Originally Posted by maddoggy00
Never worked for me with the otg cable. It (the free version) only works if I put it on the internal storage, which I'm not willing to do since I burn thru tens of GBs of storage on a weekly basis. And in that case, I'd recommend VLC over MX player.
Just mount the external storage. And I have not seen any official versions of VLC out on the Play Store. All third party developmental. MX Player is the better app. On screen settings control(brightness, zoom, etc.) along with the screen lock feature and a great subtitle support.
buy a galaxy, do not buy a fucking ipad
I have the tab 3 and surface RT.
Although, I recommend you try Nexus 7. My friend has it and it seems pretty good.
I've got an asus transformer but I feel so freaken limited with it.. I'd suggest simply buying a laptop