Regnum Trailer

Posts 31–34 of 34 · Page 3 of 3
Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Spark View Post


ehehehe

Realm isn't a game with design meant for any kind of meaningful incrementation. The idea of its manic speed permadeath battle system is to keep danger at every corner. While being able to die easily to hobbit mages would be quite absurd for the endgame, the Realm should always retain danger even without event bosses.

Of course, you need to design the battles as "manic speed permadeath" which means less pinatas and less "the only good classes are those with dps" excuses. Items provide helpful incrementation to assist in the endgame, but it was never meant to completely overcome the past enemies.

I would not use Doomed as an example of balance. It's the worst example in terms of design implementation and I strongly discourage a repetition of its "design".

Of course, Realm's design values were not built well for continuous expansion, especially the simplicity value. However, continuing to make stronger pinatas with stronger sticks to bash pinatas to death will quickly become monotonous and boring. Remember that this is a high-speed game, not an incremental idle.

Items were built this way to serve as a cooperative and competitive design of playstyle. For example, if you were to fight say a LotLL as a wizard with a t10 staff. Another wizard comes his way with a t11 staff with the exact same stats as you. That wizard has an advantage against you, but it promotes competition as you will be able to deal large increments more in damage if you play with more skill and agility, thus allowing players to compete in a high speed environment.

Let's now say you had a t12 staff. 60-80 x 2 is not a bad damage amount, but what if the other guy was endgame like most RPG's and had this 300-450 damage staff? There'd be very little competition involved, and unless that guy was some suckish loser (which is extremely unlikely) he WILL win the competition with ease.

Now the reason why Half Life 3 Phoenix Realms 2 is taking so long is because of a constant discussion and debate about creating the proper RotMG design that all players will be able to cooperate and compete in a balanced and expandable environment. It sounds fictitious and tedious, but I have ideas. A LOT of ideas.

I've talked and seen works from both Slendergo and VoOoLoX so I'm eager to see what design they have in mind for their server.
why don't you guys scale up endgame monsters so that you'd have to be a literal god to solo them with top gear, but decently hard with a 5-10man group? then you can release higher damage stuff because you will need it and the downside is that the dungeon/monster/anything is blocked from people who have lower tiers worth of stuff and so he can't help or play with his friend. so an announcement like "dankmemer420 has opened a pirate cave" when someone opens a dungeon in the nexus should make other people come because loot and help the guy do the dungeon, Starbound (game made by alex, one of the co-founders of WS) has an announcing system if you open a dungeon so you will gather allies to help.

loot should be solved with a low sb threshold, but it should drop like fragments of the items, like top tier boss drops 5 cosmic fragments at x% chance, lower tier one drops 1, thus allowing progression in a slower but sure way while also making the items valuable since the grind is longer, and this way the fact everyone gets loot isn't op like it would be at current bosses and their drops.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nilly View Post
I'm not sure about that. Nobody would invest time into game if it didn't interest them, stable or not. It just goes to show you that rotmg has come across a formula that people enjoy. I don't care what one does with their rotmg pserver, the core aspect is there and you don't need to do very much to make it enjoyable. That hard work has already been done for us. What we are doing here is more or less refining the game environment not changing the core of what is rotmg. NR's environment happens to be very chaotic. It's something I enjoy about it and I don't think it's outlandish to say other people do too. I like that we aren't bound to a ridged game design profile and able to test ideas freely, no matter how crazy they may seem, to see what works.
your server is successful because most people interested in rotmg private servers are people who enjoy the core game, and you are extending the core game. however i think proph is trying to make a server enjoyable to more people who'd rather have less content but realm reworked and balanced thoroughly, then adding new content. that way you have both sides satisfied.
Quote Originally Posted by nilly View Post
I'm not sure about that. Nobody would invest time into game if it didn't interest them, stable or not. It just goes to show you that rotmg has come across a formula that people enjoy. I don't care what one does with their rotmg pserver, the core aspect is there and you don't need to do very much to make it enjoyable. That hard work has already been done for us. What we are doing here is more or less refining the game environment not changing the core of what is rotmg. NR's environment happens to be very chaotic. It's something I enjoy about it and I don't think it's outlandish to say other people do too. I like that we aren't bound to a ridged game design profile and able to test ideas freely, no matter how crazy they may seem, to see what works.
It all depends on what you're trying to do and what you're trying to cater for.

While there are a good plenty of pserver players that enjoy the basic core of RotMG (well more like 80-90% actually), there are a good lot of pserver players too that are fed up with Prod for issues such as unbalance, broken competition system, and a rather wholly unstable market due to duping. I am looking to try to cater towards these players as quite a few of them are willing to commit time and experience to the server rather than popping in on and off. (I mean, why try to cooperate when no one appreciates it, and why try to compete when that system's broken as hell?)

In terms of Phoenix's development, I'm not as strict on design standards as some may make it out to be. I've brainstormed plenty of systems to allow creativity to run loose as well as compromises when a concept just slightly "doesn't fit standards".

With that being said, I do plan on structuring the system in many core ways, while retaining several "fun" aspects.

It's quite an interesting discussion to make. Though I can see where your side can come from, I've usually had the experience of Prod where the fun comes from enjoying stuff with friends alongside to joke and fool around with. When I play alone I'm quickly filled with the ideas on how Prod can improve and how it's very unintuitive for ingame interaction between players.
Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Spark View Post


It all depends on what you're trying to do and what you're trying to cater for.

While there are a good plenty of pserver players that enjoy the basic core of RotMG (well more like 80-90% actually), there are a good lot of pserver players too that are fed up with Prod for issues such as unbalance, broken competition system, and a rather wholly unstable market due to duping. I am looking to try to cater towards these players as quite a few of them are willing to commit time and experience to the server rather than popping in on and off. (I mean, why try to cooperate when no one appreciates it, and why try to compete when that system's broken as hell?)

In terms of Phoenix's development, I'm not as strict on design standards as some may make it out to be. I've brainstormed plenty of systems to allow creativity to run loose as well as compromises when a concept just slightly "doesn't fit standards".

With that being said, I do plan on structuring the system in many core ways, while retaining several "fun" aspects.

It's quite an interesting discussion to make. Though I can see where your side can come from, I've usually had the experience of Prod where the fun comes from enjoying stuff with friends alongside to joke and fool around with. When I play alone I'm quickly filled with the ideas on how Prod can improve and how it's very unintuitive for ingame interaction between players.
I wouldn't exactly consider Kabam's broken mechanics the core of rotmg. Any "legit" server would try to address those issues you've presented. :3

Good luck on your project. You've definitely put a lot of thought into it so I'm sure when it's up and going, it will provide something this community has been missing.
Posts 31–34 of 34 · Page 3 of 3

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Need help?