QuestionHow many programming languages do you know?

Posts 16–30 of 38 · Page 2 of 3
Quote Originally Posted by ConnorMcG View Post
They infact fall under a language, I put lower grade for people who refer to them as not real languages / markup.
Meh.. poor students.
Quote Originally Posted by ConnorMcG View Post
They infact fall under a language, I put lower grade for people who refer to them as not real languages / markup.
> HTML is a language; a markup language, not a programming language.
> The title of this thread refers to programming languages. There is no programming in HTML.
> Dynamic HTML (DHTML) is achieved by utilising the DOM API with JavaScript (or VBScript, bleugh).
> Non-static HTML pages are created with server-side scripting languages (PHP, RoR etc.), but the resultant page is still static HTML.

I do not count HTML as a programming language, because it just straight up isn't.
A tad bit too many I'd say...

HTML
PHP
CSS
JavaScript
C
C#
C++
Cocoa
Perl
VB
BASIC
F#
Java
JavaServerProtocol
Lua
Objective-C
Visual C#
VBScripts
X10
UNITY
UnrealScript
Ruby
PEARL
Python
JavaFX Script
JScript

I may not know most of these languages completely but I've had time to study and do simple functions in all of them at least. My strongest languages would be HTML, PHP, CSS, JavaScript, C#, C++, F#, Java, Lua, UNITY, UnrealScript, Ruby, Perl, Cocoa And Python.

Not in that order ofcourse
20+, but not an expert in any of them. I'm very dependent on authoritative documentation for every project.
Quote Originally Posted by SinisterKid View Post
Seven.
PHP
SQL
HTML
JAVASCRIPT
VB.NET
BATCH
A Small Bit of Java.
HTML is a markup language - not a programming language, also personally I wouldnt consider batch as programming lang.. Its more of scripting with the use of an interpreter. Whilst most programming languages use a compiler and an interpreter, batch only uses an interpreter (yeah so does sql but sql is much more.. uhm.. more prominent language).
Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
F#
C#
VB (6 and .NET)
Java
JavaScript (+ jQuery)
PHP
Ruby (+ Rails)
ColdFusion
Intel x86 assembly (very, VERY basic level)
C/C++
SQL (if you'd even count that as a programming language)

There are probably some more that I've forgotten. At this point picking up new languages doesn't seem to take too long. I'm interested in getting into Python but never seem to find the time.

My strongest/most frequently used languages would probably be:
C# (and by extension I guess I'm fairly strong with VB.NET, though I don't like using it)
C/C++
PHP + JavaScript (I rate them together because I use them at the same time)
ColdFusion (forced to use it pretty much every day at work)

(Double post sorries) SQL is a 4th Generation Programming Language which is mostly used for specifying what needs to be done instead of how it is going to be done.
I know these language :

►Ruby (was doing some RPG Maker vx and learned it)
►JavaScripts
►Java (A little, same as javascripts but with difference.)

I'm new in code, my next learning in language will be C, C++, C#.

And I will learn HTML wich is not a code language I think but just a markup.
Programming Languages:
C - 6/10 expertise
Brainfuck - 10/10 expertise (joke)
VB - pointless, easy as pie

Scripting Languages:
Lua - Lua King 9/10 expert
Quote Originally Posted by METRIODIK View Post
I know these language :

►Ruby (was doing some RPG Maker vx and learned it)
►JavaScripts
►Java (A little, same as javascripts but with difference.)

I'm new in code, my next learning in language will be C, C++, C#.)CSHARP??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! pfff don't bother (well if you want to.)

And I will learn HTML which is not a code language I think but just a markup.
Nice, good for you.
Quote Originally Posted by VectorD View Post
Programming Languages:
C - 6/10 expertise
Brainfuck - 10/10 expertise (joke)
VB - pointless, easy as pie

Scripting Languages:


Lua - Lua King 9/10 expert


Nice, good for you.
Haha what's the matter about C-sharp ?
Quote Originally Posted by METRIODIK View Post
Haha what's the matter about C-sharp ?
Never really have liked it for some reason.

I found this a while ago, its generally on C++ vs C#:

Pro C#:

  • garbage collection
  • array bounds checking
  • huge .NET-Framework library
  • types have a defined size (e.g. a long is 64Bit)
  • strings are encoded in UTF/16
  • autoboxing - every type can be treated as if it inherits from object
  • supports constructor-chaining (one constructor can call another constructor from the same class)
  • when a virtual method is called in a constructor, the method in the most derived class is used
  • static constructors (run before the first instance of the class is created)
  • exceptions have access to a stack trace
  • advanced runtime type information and reflection
  • supports variadic functions nicely
  • built-in support for threads
  • no need for header files and #includes
  • no fall-through on switch-statements
  • arithmetic operations can be checked for overflow if required
  • objects must have a definite value before being used
  • attributes can be attached to classes and retrieved at runtime
  • no forward declarations required, classes can be arranged at will
  • access to class members / functions is done only by the dot (no more -> or :
  • conditional functions (e.g. for debugging)
  • structs and classes are actually different (structs are value types, have no default constructor in general cannot be derived from)
  • supports properties
  • readonly members are const, but can be changed in the constructor
  • finally block for exceptions
  • arrays are objects
  • support for anonymous functions
  • supports the base keyword for calling the overridden base class

Pro C++

  • better performance
  • portability
  • multiple inheritance
  • deterministic destruction (allows RAII)
  • any type can be thrown as exception (only classes derived from System.Exception in C#)
  • ability to enforce const-correctness
  • implicit interfaces on generics (in C#, generics must be constrained with an interface)
  • offers pointers (C# only offers pointers in unsafe mode)
  • support for macros
  • support for global variables, functions, constants
  • allows default arguments on function parameters
  • STL
  • supports bitfields

Where C# is just different from C++

  • value types and reference types exist (struct is value-type, class is reference-type)
  • value types live on the stack, reference types on the heap
  • references can point to null (must not be valid)
  • code is packaged in assemblies in C#
  • no automatic conversion from int to bool in C#
  • main-function is called Main in C#
  • no semicolon after a class declaration in C#
  • everything derives from object or can be treated as if
Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post


The fact of the matter is that 30-60% is FAR more realistic than his claims of 100%. He does not know 100% of C++, nor would he actually know CLOSE to 70-80% of assembly. Anyone claiming to know a "percentage" of a language usually has no idea what they're talking about; those that claim they know "100%" of a language are just plain full of shit.
Knowing c/c++ "100%" is very possible because you need to include libraries for functions, and these libraries aren't part of clean c/c++.

Programming languages I know:
- c/c++ (good)
- php (very good)
- java (average)

I also know javascript, vba, lua, sql, but I don't consider them as full-fledged programming languages
Quote Originally Posted by wiez View Post
Knowing c/c++ "100%" is very possible because you need to include libraries for functions, and these libraries aren't part of clean c/c++
Possible? Most definitely. Probably? Most definitely not.
"VB - pointless, easy as pie" yet LUA is your language of choice? ok.
Quote Originally Posted by abuckau907 View Post
"VB - pointless, easy as pie" yet LUA is your language of choice? ok.
Lua isn't a programming language, more scripting.

I had to learn it for some Garry's Mod work on coderhire, where you can make money from selling scripts. I made a quite decent amount of cash.

VB has its good sides and bad, but I would never stick around with it.
Posts 16–30 of 38 · Page 2 of 3
This thread is closed for replies.

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Talk with us