My dev setup > yours

Posts 1–15 of 38 · Page 1 of 3
My dev setup > yours
3 monitors, 2 operating systems, 2 desktops.

Get on my Level pls

Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Demon View Post
Nope.jpg .
The fact that I use Windows 98 and MS-DOS for programming automatically makes me superior
Quote Originally Posted by Auxilium View Post


The fact that I use Windows 98 and MS-DOS for programming automatically makes me superior
No, it makes you a hipster.
Quote Originally Posted by rileyjstrickland View Post
No, it makes you a hipster.
I'm sorry If I would like to write and test my assembly programs that directly interface with the hardware without having to use a virtual machine. /facepalm
Quote Originally Posted by Auxilium View Post


I'm sorry If I would like to write and test my assembly programs that directly interface with the hardware without having to use a virtual machine. /facepalm
You're a hipster. You're bragging about the fact that you use outdated operating systems for an "outdated language*." Not only are you bragging, but you seriously believe you're better than everyone else.
I can't wait for you to enter some type of college or workforce, your attitude will change real quick, or you'll have a short career.
*Almost no commercial programs are written directly in ASM anymore.
Quote Originally Posted by rileyjstrickland View Post
You're a hipster. You're bragging about the fact that you use outdated operating systems for an "outdated language*." Not only are you bragging, but you seriously believe you're better than everyone else.
I can't wait for you to enter some type of college or workforce, your attitude will change real quick, or you'll have a short career.
*Almost no commercial programs are written directly in ASM anymore.
I'm sorry, you must be new to this section, because I'm not acting superior.

I'm not the only person who programs in assembly, or has at least programmed in assembly before, so unless you want to call Bruno, Void, and others a hipster, you should refrain from calling people hipsters because they program in a language you are inexperienced with.

Second, assembly is far from outdated. Good luck writing an operating system without some assembly. Good luck supporting legacy programs without assembly. If assembly is so outdated, why do people all around the internet program in assembly? Why does Intel and other companies keep updating their instruction sets? 3DNow, SSE, etc. If assembly was so outdated like you imply, why do they keep adding instructions and features?

Good luck writing for embedded systems without assembly, how about game consoles? They all need assembly too.

Trust me, assembly is not a language for hipsters wanting to be different. Why is assembly so well documented? Because it's well in use.

All operating systems have some assembly in them. Somebody needs to write that assembly.

Assembly is the 20th most used language, raising 6 places since last year.

And you want to say assembly is outdated?

please.
Quote Originally Posted by Auxilium View Post


I'm sorry, you must be new to this section, because I'm not acting superior.

I'm not the only person who programs in assembly, or has at least programmed in assembly before, so unless you want to call Bruno, Void, and others a hipster, you should refrain from calling people hipsters because they program in a language you are inexperienced with.

Second, assembly is far from outdated. Good luck writing an operating system without some assembly. Good luck supporting legacy programs without assembly. If assembly is so outdated, why do people all around the internet program in assembly? Why does Intel and other companies keep updating their instruction sets? 3DNow, SSE, etc. If assembly was so outdated like you imply, why do they keep adding instructions and features?

Good luck writing for embedded systems without assembly, how about game consoles? They all need assembly too.

Trust me, assembly is not a language for hipsters wanting to be different. Why is assembly so well documented? Because it's well in use.

All operating systems have some assembly in them. Somebody needs to write that assembly.

Assembly is the 20th most used language, raising 6 places since last year.

And you want to say assembly is outdated?

please.
I said for commercial applications ASM is outdated, which it is. Dear lord you can't fucking read. You also assume I don't know any ASM, which you are very mistaken.
Quote Originally Posted by rileyjstrickland View Post
I said for commercial applications ASM is outdated, which it is. Dear lord you can't fucking read. You also assume I don't know any ASM, which you are very mistaken.
Gasp! Why do you know such an outdated language! It is like never used in commercial use!

Legacy systems are still well in use. Did you some of the US Military uses computers running MSDOS because that's what their programs were developed for over 20 years ago. They need to be updated too without having to be completely rewritten.

Is an operating system like Windows not commercial? Because it sure is and it uses assembly, so no outdated there.

Many firmwares are written in assembly, for example when a high level compiler is not available, or space is very restricted.
Still need your firmwares, huh

Plus, I'm writing my own hobby OS, and assembly is pretty much required there, so that's why I use it.
Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post


Gasp! Why do you know such an outdated language! It is like never used in commercial use!

Legacy systems are still well in use. Did you some of the US Military uses computers running MSDOS because that's what their programs were developed for over 20 years ago. They need to be updated too without having to be completely rewritten.

Is an operating system like Windows not commercial? Because it sure is and it uses assembly, so no outdated there.

Many firmwares are written in assembly, for example when a high level compiler is not available, or space is very restricted.
Still need your firmwares, huh

Plus, I'm writing my own hobby OS, and assembly is pretty much required there, so that's why I use it.
What ever you say CS. Again, I said applications. I don't consider an Operating System an Application, it's and Operating System. I also don't consider military programs COMMERCIAL software. Last time I checked, I could not buy software to control a satellite.
Quote Originally Posted by rileyjstrickland View Post
What ever you say CS. Again, I said applications. I don't consider an Operating System an Application, it's and Operating System. I also don't consider military programs COMMERCIAL software. Last time I checked, I could not buy software to control a satellite.
An operating system is just a program that allows users to interact with hardware, and run their own programs on top of it. nothing else. Yes, an OS is just a program.

I like how you use CS against me, like it automatically makes my point invalid. Either way, firmware is another important thing, and firmware is VERY commercial btw. And assembly and firmware are very tightly knit together.

Seems like a commercial use for assembly It'd be pretty stupid selling a piece of hardware with no firmware, right?
I agree with @rileyjstrickland, Patrick; you are a hipster with all your posts about "writing asm, using DOS and old operating systems. Barely anyone (except hipsters like yourself) use DOS for any reason, and no-one gives two shits about the fact you use ancient operating systems. Clinging to an old OS and posting everywhere about how you use Windows 95 (or 3.1 and pre-NT crap) and DOS because using a decent, modern, publicly supported Operating System would be "too mainstream" is pretty much the definition of a hipster man. Shit, even Microsoft stopped support for '95 about a billion years ago.

Face it, you're a hipster Just a few days ago you were bragging about your shitty PC specs and how it can run an ancient OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post

Brand proves nothing.

My 80386DX is a fully capable processor able to execute instructions in protected mode.

Rocking MS-DOS with Windows 3.11 for workgroups.

I might not be with the times, but at least my machine has heart, something your piece of shit gaming machine doesn't.
Everywhere. Facking everywhere.

More to the topic,


My work setup from around Christmas time (hence the Christmas trees on my monitors)
Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I agree with @rileyjstrickland, Patrick; you are a hipster with all your posts about "writing asm, using DOS and old operating systems. Barely anyone (except hipsters like yourself) use DOS for any reason, and no-one gives two shits about the fact you use ancient operating systems. Clinging to an old OS and posting everywhere about how you use Windows 95 (or 3.1 and pre-NT crap) and DOS because using a decent, modern, publicly supported Operating System would be "too mainstream" is pretty much the definition of a hipster man. Shit, even Microsoft stopped support for '95 about a billion years ago.

Face it, you're a hipster Just a few days ago you were bragging about your shitty PC specs and how it can run an ancient OS.



Everywhere. Facking everywhere.

More to the topic,


My work setup from around Christmas time (hence the Christmas trees on my monitors.
Oh my jesus Jason that post wasn't even serious


---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
and DOS because using a decent, modern, publicly supported Operating System would be "too mainstream" is pretty much the definition of a hipster man
What kind of garbage are you speaking Jason? I use Windows 7 and FreeBSD. Modern is Modern.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post


Oh my jesus Jason that post wasn't even serious


---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------



What kind of garbage are you speaking Jason? I use Windows 7 and FreeBSD. Modern is Modern.

Yes, but every time you post you're going on and on and on and on about how you use MS-DOS, Win 95/3.1 and other outdated craps.
I have the same Dell monitor, keyboard and mouse as you do, but I don't use the mouse. I'll post my setup later.
Posts 1–15 of 38 · Page 1 of 3

Post a Reply

Similar Threads

Tags for this Thread

None

Need help?